The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  MyBid

Best Add-ons When Purchasing Domains & Hosting

Viktori

affiliate
I'm about to embark on my journey to host my first site. I'm wondering if I should get the whois security add-on, but I didn't want to make extra expenses needlessly, so I thought I'd run it by you guys first. Long story short, I don't want my name to be searchable, for security and privacy reasons. Is there any other way of getting around this without paying for the add-on, like say, using a company name, or even a fake name? If there are other extras that you would recommend, I'd love to hear about them too.

I always buy WhoisGuard, I don't want my name to be available to the public :) Its not that I do anything illegal but anyone can hurt your reputation if they manage to get your personal details. As you have mentioned previously, using a company name is a valid option, many people do that. I didn't try using a fake name yet, but I don't think its a good idea. If the name you provide doesn't match the one on your credit card or paypal account it can make things a bit complicated...

There are some domain name companies out there that can offer you a free WHOIS service when you register a domain name. Although to be honest It's not like somebody is going to hunt you down for running a website or forum, not unless it's illegal or frown down upon.

There are some domain name companies out there that can offer you a free WHOIS service when you register a domain name. Although to be honest It's not like somebody is going to hunt you down for running a website or forum, not unless it's illegal or frown down upon.

That's true, and I have thought about that before too, but it's just too easy to track it down for my comfort level. I wouldn't be able to sleep well if I knew that my name were too easily searchable and attached to a site that I potentially want to get a significant number of audience for. :)

For a long time I used to get WhoIs privacy for free until GoDaddy found out what I was doing. After that they didn't allow me to buy any new domain with my credit card. Basically what I did it's used my company's information as domain administrator and buyer but eventually they found out the information was incorrect and required me to correct them.

However, now I buy the Whois privacy using coupons usually, all you have to do is search for "free whois privacy coupon" on google and you will find a lot.

When I first started, I didn't think it was important. Since I was doing a personal site, I used my actual physical address.

By the time the domain was up for renewal, I'd gotten so much paper spam in my physical snail mail inbox addressed to the owner of the domain, I didn't hesitate to pay for privacy service :)

I buy my domains from Namecheap, and when the new domain name is registered, I get the WhoIsGuard privacy protection option free for the first year. The WhoIsGuard option will enable you the much-required security and privacy protection.

I never sign up with my real name, I usually create a company name before registering for such things, for example - create a non profit company. Just make up the name...

Or, instead of using your full name, use a shortened version of it. Like "J. Smith", instead of "Jay Smith"

banners
Back