The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Affiliates - Stop Waiting for Overnight Success

Linda Buquet

affiliate
I was just re-reading a good article from Feedfront Magazine and thought I'd share.

<a href="http://feedfront.com/archives/article002228">Affiliates: Stop Waiting for Overnight Success – By Matt McWilliams</a>

I see many affiliates who suffer from the proverbial “paralysis by analysis” and it is unfortunate because these affiliates really do have a thirst for knowledge and a desire to achieve. But, too often they live by fear. Fear of failure, fear of losing money, and often a fear of missing out on the latest trend or tip that will make them an instant millionaire.

All the while, they are missing out on doing. They are failing to act—actually working on their site and ads, building content, and testing.

What do you think?
Can anyone relate???

Great article by Matt McWilliams, whom I know. I hear the same questions, both from my affiliates and here at the forum. And I seem to be hearing it more often. Back when affiliate marketing started, back when I started at it ten years ago, it was not the get rich quick so much as it was the "you mean we can make money doing this?" kind of thing. Many years later, and hundreds of success stories later, newbies want to find that pot of gold they think everyone else found without trying. Fact is, you have to dive in, take the plunge and just experiment.

When I was an affiliate I had one site. After a few months of getting sales (not many, but enough) I added more merchants. Then I bought more domains and tried duplicating what I did. Then I bought more domains and tried every different kind of site I could come up with. Static sites, php database sites, popshops, goldencan, and many others.

I discovered two things, really. I was able to find some methods that worked well, but you had to stay on top of things and adjust quickly when things changed. The other thing I discovered is diversity. Over the long haul having a variety of different sites utilizing several different revenue streams created a stable income.

But the bottom line is, you have to begin, you have to try and you need to be willing to experiment. I also see it written here every month. You have to be willing to fail and then learn from that failure.

Thanks for the article, Linda. Hope others here, maybe not as long winded as I, can share their feelings as well.

Linda, thanks for posting this.

Of course, the principles of action apply to everyone, not just affiliates.

I am as guilty as anyone probably...ha as I write this my 7th pending Outlook reminder just popped up...so appropriate.

I am behind on 4 projects, late on 2 more, and haven't even started 3. I suppose I should take my own advice better. In my case it is usually from overextending myself.

But really, the issue is in taking that action. Getting dirty, failing often, and having absolutely no fear of trying out what your heart and mind tell you is the right thing to do at the time.

To-do lists are great, but I often wonder just how long #5 or even #1 or #2 has been starting back at you?

Today, resolve to act on something you have learned or want to try, rather it be in affiliate marketing, a relationship, or something you have always wanted to do for fun.

And have fun with it!

Linda, thanks for posting this.

Of course, the principles of action apply to everyone, not just affiliates.

Today, resolve to act on something you have learned or want to try, rather it be in affiliate marketing, a relationship, or something you have always wanted to do for fun.

And have fun with it!

You're welcome Matt. Thanks for WRITING it!

I'm going to work on something today too that's been on my todo list for too long and get it finished.

Have fun at ThinkTank. Be sure to hook up with and say hi to our Mod 7 Days Ron who will be there too.

Matt,

Welcome to the forum and great to see you at SAS Think Tank this last weekend. Also great to meet your lovely wife.

Looking forward to your contributions here!

I can relate, both from my own experience and from others'. Most people don't realize the months and years of hard work that was expended before an Internet marketer "got rich" or at least was making a steady income online. So they expect it to be quick. I remember reading at the Keyword Academy that most of us overestimate what can be done in a month, and underestimate what we can accomplish in a year.

Great post... I definitely started out this way until I just kicked myself in the but and started working 24/7 on it. But its tough as a newbie because there is SOO much make "5k over night" products being pushed as a noob its hard to not get distracted by that and buy into it

I have to admit when I first started affiliate marketing I was drawn in by the overnight success ads. Now I realize affiliate marketing is something that takes practice and persistence.

I realize that now that I suffer "Paralysis by analysis".

I read some great book and get really stoked to affiliate market, then some mundane detail comes up that I don't understand and then I have second thoughts of my abilities to be an affiliate.

I guess the main problem that I have is not being a good writer. Are there other ways to promote products without so much writing?

Thanks,
swannee

Can definitely relate. Most of my friends think I am doing absolutely nothing all day long. They have no clue how hard it is to be an affiliate and to make a steady income.

There is no such thing as overnight success. It is all about hard work.

The fear that makes one fail to act comes when what you need to act is of limited resources.
But still yet there are people who are naturally gamblers, while there are others who will have several sleepless nights over some few pennies being lost in an intended venture.

Can definitely relate. Most of my friends think I am doing absolutely nothing all day long. They have no clue how hard it is to be an affiliate and to make a steady income.

There is no such thing as overnight success. It is all about hard work.

The important thing is not what others think of what you do but that you are happy doing what you are doing and making a difference doing what you are doing.

If you are having fun, making a decent enough income to meet your needs, and contributing something to the world, then who cares what the nay-sayers think :)

Sounds like you have the right attitude though! :D

I am starting to get the hang of this now, work hard and learn as much as possible and act on what you learn, I knew it wasnt going to be "get rich quick" but I will settle for "get rich slow" ;)

banners
Back