The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

Affiliate Marketing Definitions - What is Affiliate Marketing

Linda Buquet

affiliate
I just discovered a new command for G - at least it's new to me and I never knew it was an option.
Use define: to find definitions of terms on the web. Here's what G found for "define:affiliate marketing"

Thought these affiliate marketing definitions may be helful info for some n00bs.

<strong>(Also partner, pay for performance, performance-based, referral-based or revenue-sharing marketing) a revenue sharing partnership between a merchant and one or more affiliates, where the affiliate is paid a commission for referring clicks, leads or sales to the merchant website. <a href="http://www.shareresults.com/about_us_glossary.php"><font color=#008000>www.shareresults.com/about_us_glossary.php</font></a><p></p>Affiliate Marketing is a widespread method of promoting a website, in which an affiliate is rewarded for every visitor, subscriber and/or customer provided through his efforts. It is a modern variation of the practice of paying finder's-fees to individuals who introduce new clients to a business. Compensation may be made based on a certain value for each visit (Pay-per-click), registrant (Pay-per-lead), or a commission for each customer or sale (Pay-per-Sale).
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affiliate_marketing"><font color=#008000>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affiliate_marketing</font></a><p></p>
A risk-free form of advertising in which a company pays its Affiliate partners a commission for sales and/or leads generated through the Affiliates marketing activities. <a href="http://www.webbloom.com/Help_Centre/Glossary/"><font color=#008000>www.webbloom.com/Help_Centre/Glossary/</font></a><p></p>
This is a system of revenue sharing between one site (the affiliate merchant) which features an ad or content designed to drive traffic to another site (the advertiser). The affiliate will receive a fee based on the amount of traffic generated. internetworld365.com/Content/Pages/Glossary.aspx<p></p>Affiliate marketing is the use by a Web site that sells products of other Web sites, called affiliates, to help market the products. Amazon.com, the book seller, created the first large-scale affiliate programme and hundreds of other companies have since followed. adoofa.com/services/services_glossary.asp<p></p>A system of advertising in which site A agrees to feature buttons from site B, and site A gets a percentage of any sales generated for site B. It can also be applied to situations in which an advertiser may be looking for marketing information, rather than a cash sale. Popular among startups with very small marketing budgets. expedite-email-marketing.com/internet_marketing_glossary_internetmarketingtermsdefinition.htm<p></p>Revenue sharing between two web sites. Affiliate site normally provide free advertising for an ecommerce site and compensation is based on performance ie sales, clicks, registrations, or a combination of all. positioning-search-engines.com/glossary.htm<p></p>A business relationship with a merchant or other service provider who allows you to link to that business. When a visitor clicks on the link at your site and subsequently makes a purchase from the merchant, you receive a commission based on the amount of the sale, a referral fee or a pay-for-click fee. showtheworld.com/glossary.htm<p></p>A system of selling products or services in context over the Internet that allows online merchants to promote their goods or services within the content of tens of thousands of Web sites. Affiliate marketing allows merchants to pay their affiliates based on performance. getrichfree.com/glossary_of_terms.htm<p></p></strong>

If you find any other good affiliate marketing definitions post them here in the
5 Star <strong>AFFILIATE MARKETING FORUM</strong>.
:) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Linda, I too was not aware of what "affiliated marketing" exactly meant. After going through your post, I have a lucid knowledge about it, and now i'll definitely search for more information about it and once I get it i'll make sure to post it here. :)

This will be an especially useful topic for me if it helps me come up with a concrete answer when family and friends ask "what exactly do you DO online? What do you mean affiliate marketing?" There's nothing like stumbling through your own job description so that everyone wonders if you just made up your whole career and you're actually just sitting at home in your pjs all day (which may not be too far from the truth, but doesn't mean we're not still doing that "online thing" while in the pj's

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you describe what you do to non-industry people?

"There's nothing like stumbling through your own job description so that everyone wonders if you just made up your whole career"

Steph you ALWAYS give me a chuckle! But I know many people have a problem describing what we do. In casual conversation I don't even try to explain affiliate marketing. I just say I have an Internet Marketing company. If they want to know more then I say I do consulting for several online retailers like: and drop some names. If they are family or someone I want to take the time to explain it to and they want to know more I ask if they know what affiliates are. Then I ask if they've ever been on a site that sold books for Amazon. So then I explain thats what affiliates do, sort of like outside sales people online. Then I tell them I facilitate partnerships between merchants and affiliates and help both sides learn to increase revenue online.

BUT the short answer is always just Internet Marketing or Internet Marketing Consultant. That just typically gets big eyes, then a vacant stare and a "that sounds cool."

Last edited by a moderator:
Keeping it simple.

To me, affiliate marketing is simply a relationship between two webmasters, -- one who agrees to pay the other, for referred sales or leads.

If someone asks me what I do, I tell them I am a publisher. (and a happy one at that)

Great definition James! Wish more people really keyed into the relationship part. For far too many I think it's just about money and stats and they don't build on the relationships that could make it even better!

I think Linda That you take affiliate marketing from one side,
Affiliate marketing are salespersons that help their target audience to take decisions about products or services according to their experiences or knowledge. Your readers can know the merchant web site but they do some search to get third party to advice them and make more information about the product taking in consideration that we are using internet and we have not any idea about the merchant.

I think James hit it on the head the best. Affiliate Marketing should become a passion for a product, service and its supplier. The two need to work together.

One meeting the needs of the other with each understanding that they have the same objective but need to use different methods to obtain satisfaction.

You begin with a courtship, develop into an engagement and if it looks like a good relationship it is time to propose.:D

Many small companies have built on this until they were at the place of a merger.

HeyLanny

Thanks for the info on the definitions. What I liked best about what you found was the fact that the definitions were plain and simple.

And for the record Stephanie, I have tried everywhich way to explain to non-industry people, (like my family and friends) what it is I do, and still get a blank stare right back.

In affiliate marketing merchants place their advertisement on high traffic web sites. The web site owner or publisher gets commission whenever visitors of his site act in a manner, which may conclude in a sale of the advertised product. A visitor can do anything from merely clicking on the advertisement, leaving contact details for the advertiser to finally buying the product.

Do we need a website to host the affiliate product?"

Dear all,

I got a fair bit of information about affiliate marketing from this thread... but just wanna get a clearer picture.

Does it means that affiliate marketing doesn't involve selling a product? It seems to me that the post are mainly referrring to accumulation of downline (almost similar to that of MLM) or simply bringing in traffic (and got paid) to a specific webpage, which sells the product.

Also, if i'm an affiliate to a particular product, can I host the product at my own website? That means I got commission from selling the product but it's under my control. This so that I won't lost my subscriber list and driving traffic to other website but eventually they won't buy until 4-5 visits and I won't get paid for that?

Sorry to jumble this up couple of questions here and hope someone could give me a clearer picture.

Regards,
Kian:confused:

I think perhaps you might be confused. You hear a lot about building lists, but rather than being a "downline" in the MLM sense, this list is made up of people who have opted in to receive periodic information from you, the affiliate marketer. Then, when you find a great product, that list is one source that you use to promote the product. These may be information products that you have created or they could be something someone else has created. Or it could be an actual physical product.

Other ways affiliate marketers generate interest in a product are through web sites, blogs, articles, and advertisements such as a classified ad or a Pay Per Click ad.

As to the other questions, maybe someone else here can answer better than I can. I'm still trying to learn this affiliate marketing stuff, for the most part. I'm finding a lot of great information on this and other forums, though, as well as through the programs I am learning from.

Grady

banners
Back