The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Affiliate Managers who Get It!

Linda Buquet

affiliate
What traits do you look for in an affiliate manager?

Who are some good affiliate managers you work with?

What should you do when you have a bad affiliate manager?

Should you just drop their program and look for someone else?

Should you talk to their management and let them know the AM is hurting the program?

I just came across a good post from an affiliate who talks about what he looks for in an affiliate manager.

He blogs about one of our 5 Star members, a great affiliate manager named Matt McWilliams.
Matt are your ears burning???

<a href="http://whatdoesjoethink.com/2009/11/affiliate-managers-who-get-it/">Affiliate Managers who Get It</a>

Over the years I have worked with dozens, maybe even hundreds of affiliate managers and they range from awesome to terrible. Some of them get it and some of them are totally missing the mark with their efforts.

So what makes a good affiliate manager? Here are a few things I think an affiliate manager should do if they want to make their affiliate program successful and help their affiliates succeed:

What traits do you look for in an affiliate manager? Smart, good looking, charismatic.... oops wrong answers :)

A good affiliate manager for me is someone who looks out for opportunities for your affiliate business.

So what makes a good affiliate manager? Here are a few things I think an affiliate manager should do if they want to make their affiliate program successful and help their affiliates succeed:
where are they, the traits, or am I missing something over here?

Communication
That is the key I think, that article that Matt is very good, and all can be solved and managed with good communication, get to know the affiliate, recommending some offers, some “how to’s”, letting know what is happening with offers, payouts, of course not sounding forced to.

Personally, I think that an affiliate manager should be one who thinks strategically and offers good advice to help better affiliate sites and content. Thinking outside the box is an invaluable asset that does not come ingrained in every AM. This may come in a variety of ways, however if your AM offers solid advice and constructive feedback with strategic reasoning, it can be the difference between the success and failure of your site.

Thinking outside the box is an invaluable asset that does not come ingrained in every AM.
Unfortunately this is true however I think that it is a skill that can be learned...

It is hard when dealing with bottom lines and corporate types, but good AMs just have to learn to step out of their comfort zone and do what is right, even if those above them don't like it.

Very interesting topic.

affiliate manager is definitely important in the whole process. I personally think twice about working with a specific affiliate program if the affiliate manager doesn't answer emails or provide lame answers.

I don't like managers that call although you specificly asked to be contacted via email! Too pushy isn't good either. I like someone with humor and personal touch.

Also, apart from affiliate manager, the affiliate program backoffice (with the materials and such) should be user-friendly. I want to see all the necessary stats and be able to find the tracking links (and not only pre-written banner codes).

MI
Back