The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “RollerAds”/

A bit confused about Social Bookmarking

AprilPM

affiliate
Hello everyone. Hope all is well. Someone recently invited me to join a social bookmarking group on yahoo. Since it is a new group, and I just so happen to be the first member (LOL) I wasn't able to get a feel for what social bookmarking is all about. Can someone please walk me through how I would go about using a service such as this? And explain how exactly the whole thing works and how joining would be a benefit to my blog?
Thanks in advance! :)

I'm not familiar with a group on yahoo for social bookmarking, unless it's via del.icio.us. I write on social bookmarking, among other things, so I am a little embarrassed that I can't figure out what you are talking about.

What's the name of the service?

Hi April,
Social bookmarking is a way for people to bookmark sites they visit and enjoy, often employing the use of tags for easier organization, that they can share with other people.

Some social bookmarking sites include Delicious, BlinkList, Magnolia, Stumble Upon (not fully a bookmarking site in the traditional sense, but it allows people to save and share various websites/resources they find), and others.

Each site has their own system, but usually the sites that bookmarked by the most people will move higher up in the rankings (most notorious is the Delicious Popular List). But, not all sites use this system.

Social bookmarking groups are springing up as a way to help each other boost websites/pages on their sites. Some people see it as unethical if they simply bookmark spam pages and sites, otherwise if it's just a group of like-minded people sharing helpful information, then go for it.

Since I don't know which Yahoo! Group you're referring to, I can't provide any additional info on it. But, nonetheless, I hope what I did add has helpful.

~ Teli

Hey guys. I am sorry, I should have been more clear about this yahoo group. It's just a group in the Yahoo Groups network that a fellow internet marketer decided to start. I am the first member. :p It's not actually a bookmarking service or site. Sorry for the confusion.
I am starting to understand this a bit better. The owner of this yahoo group instructed me to eMail the group a link to each new posting on my blog. And they (the other members when there are some) will do the same. We are all supposed to bookmark eachother's links on www.OnlyWire.com. If you go to Only Wire, you will see a list of about 17 social bookmark services that you can bookmark to all at once. I guess Only Wire might be considered a "bookmarking blast"? I dunno...
Thanks though for the explanation on social bookmarking. It's becoming more clear. :rolleyes:
Till next time....

I use onlywire sometimes too. bookmarking blast is a good description.
Sounds like that Yahoo group is a Web2.0 traffic exchange on steroids. Pretty interesting concept actually as long as it's good sites and not just a bunch of spammy scammy sites all promoting each other.

Haha! That's funny. :D So you use OnlyWire. Have you found any success with it? Ok, here is what I am still a tad confused about. When I publish a new post on my blog, do I submit my blog link to whatever social bookmarking service I am using, or am I submitting a post specific link? Am I even on the right track here with submitting every time I post?
Thanks Linda. That response was super speedy. :) LOL
I am running out for a bit, so if I don't reply as quickly as this time, I will as soon as I return.
Thanks again!

Post specific :) Make the title eye catching, seo-ed and descriptive of your content for best results and tag it like crazy!

Social bookmarking sites are NOT for blog pinging. If everyone starts doing that then it will ruin the whole thing and no one will read bookmarkings sites anymore cuz they are all filled with blog spam.

Just like when people start digging all their own articles - people tune out and no one reads them anymore. Social bookmarks are designed for things that are WORTH a bookmark.

So when you write a blog entry think - is this REALLY so good, REALLY so important that if it were on a STRANGERS SITE - I would book mark it so I can get back to read it again??? Most of the time you'd have to say no!

When I say I use Onlywire I should say I HAVE used it. But I only use it VERY infrequently and only when I write something thats BIG news that I think lots of people would want to know about. I haven't done it for about 6 weeks even though I feel a lot of my blogs are bookmarkable. Just feel like doing it more often would be spamming.

I guess when I said interesting concept I was thinking of it this way. If there was a group of GOOD bloggers who let each other know every now and then when they had a really good, important or resource-filled post and said bookmark me and I'll bookmark you next time you write a GOOD one - that would be cool. Sort of a social blog ring, if you will...

Invite your Yahoo group over to read this and jump into the discussion. Would love to hear their thoughts!

Ah I see. Yeah I suppose you wouldn't want to over do it. Ok....I will take all this into consideration when deciding to bookmark something.
Thank you again for all the insight guys. :) Very very helpful!

Good point Linda. I bookmark my own stuff probably once a month, and I post more than 10x per day. Marktd.com is one that is particularly helpful to those who write on advertising/marketing. I've frontpaged there everytime I have submitted. It's small, but niche.

Yes Marktd.com is good. I need to do more there. Not tons of traffic but like you said very marketing targeted. Ive need meaning to ask him to start an affiliate marketing category. I would post there lots more.

If you write good marketing stuff, which I know you do, a couple other good places to get syndicated are Promocharger and Imnewswatch. They both syndicate 5 star. You have to ask to be included and submit your blog for review.

marketing sites

Woot, will visit those sites asap. Thanks :)

Linda Buquet said:
Yes Marktd.com is good. I need to do more there. Not tons of traffic but like you said very marketing targeted. Ive need meaning to ask him to start an affiliate marketing category. I would post there lots more.

If you write good marketing stuff, which I know you do, a couple other good places to get syndicated are Promocharger and Imnewswatch. They both syndicate 5 star. You have to ask to be included and submit your blog for review.

MI
Back