The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

WP-ecommerce Plug In

ArizonaJay

<b>5 Star Moderator</b>
affiliate
Can anybody point me to a tutorial for this thing, please? All I've found is information that relates to using it if I were the merchant. I know it can be used for affiliate links by using the off site product links, but otehrwise, I'm lost.

Sorry Jeanette, I did some searching but didn't find anything that looked like it would help you.

Hey Linda,

We are fortunate enough to have a show host who is considered to be one of the definitive experts in WordPress, Joost deValk. I also hired a whiz kid fresh out of school specifically for his WordPress skills.

I'd be happy to ask them both for some advice and check back in here once I have some info.

Sure that would be awesome, Daron. Just see if they know of a tutorial for that plugin because it sounds like she thinks it can be used in a non standard way as an affiliate tool.

I don't even quite understand what she's trying to do, so not sure if they will either, based on the little bit of info she provided.

Thanks for offering!

No worries...I'll check with Joost first as Max is on Vacation. Max is quick to customize a plugin or write a new one if need be. Which is kind of why I hired him. lol

But Joost should know. I usually catch him in the morning as he's in Europe, but again..happy to check. I know what its like to need help with a plug-in and pull your hair out. Well, I still have my hair... lol

Hi Jeanette,

Just a heads up. Max in back from Vacation and in my office now. I am asking him to create a new account to post here at 5-Star so I can lend a bit of his expertise in this area to those who may need it.
You should see him post here in the next 24-48 hours on this matter.

Hey ArizonaJay,

I just downloaded the free version of the plug-in to my local sandbox and I'll analyze the features of it. Please give me a little more background based on the following:
  • What do you need to accomplish with this plug-in?
  • Are you using the gold version?
  • What keywords have you used in internet searches so far?
  • any special settings to the plug-in that you can give me so that I am working with a similar setup.
That way I can structure a proper explanation of any of the possible solutions or direct you to a preexisting explanation.

Wow Max, you didn't need to go to all that trouble. We really appreciate it!

I'll alert Jeanette to this post to be sure she sees it.

Hey Linda,

That's what is so cool about our team... That's how we roll! ;-) Sowing seeds of knowledge and help in the community helps to grow fertile crops from which we all hope produces high yields.

Joost (Yoast) is still under the radar. He may be traveling to NYC for Ad:Tech. None the less, we'll get an answer of find where to get it from. ;-)

did this go anywhere? the concept sounds interesting, it reminded me of the old cookie-cutter ebay, amazon or datafeed websites, but with a nice twist.

I ended up working with this plug in for a little while - the one that I was referring to was actually called the "WP Shopping Cart." It's a free plug in that is set up to provide ecommerce store pages to a WP blog, allowing for images, descriptions, pricing information and all the backend functions (shopping cart, checkout, shipping, sales tax, etc.) It also allowed for input of affiliate links, in which case you would mka ethe back end pages invisible to visitors.

A single test example of this plug in using an Amazon product and affiliate link can be viewed here: Products Page | Wine of the Month Club Reviews

I'm not sure that the this is the same plug in as Joost so kindly offered to help with.

And I regret dropping this thread so abruptly. A number of issues came up for me, unrelated to business, and when I got back to business, my frustration with setting up ecommerce type store pages with affiliate links had reached it's limit. Rather than beat my head against a wall with this single problem, I spent my time building backlinks, writing blog posts, doing kw research, getting articles on ezine, etc. and seeing 3 of my long tail kw phrases at the top of google (for a few weeks).

And actually making some sales on my main blog!

The problems with the WP shopping cart plugin were primarily inefficiency. Each single product, image and aff link has to be uploaded one at a time. Each takes at least two steps. If one has only 20 or so products, it's certainly serviceable. But beyond that, it's not functional, IMO.

My still need to find an easier solution for this problem. As someone who is coding challenged, hard coding is not going to happen in my lifetime. I use a variety of merchants and networks as well as Amazon. I did mess around with Amazon's Astore, but the aesthetics leave me a bit cold.

I am considering popshops and datafeedr, but both do not include amazon products. So I may still need to keep the Astore format for certain pages.

Again, all suggestions are very much appreciated, with my sincere apologies for my temporary disappearance from this community.

MI
Back