The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Wordpress Manipulation

P

positivecarry

If I use wordpress as a cms and install the default kubrick theme, is manipulation of this theme to make it look a bit more appealing difficult?

I am wondering because I am assuming that the default theme will always be maintained. If I use something that is not too well known, and have a problem, it may take me forever to find a solution.

I like the ease of use of wordpress, and all the plugins, but how reliable is it in the long term? If plug ins are neglected by developers then you are kind of in a bind.

It's very easy to mess with themes.

Usuually I just look for a theme that I like the LAYOUT of. Then I look at the images folder and use Fireworks to change the images to my own (thus keepin the correct dimensions).

The last thing to do is alter the CSS colors.

Instant new, original theme!

Usually takes about 15 minutes.

Unless you are very plugin dependant you won't have problems with plugins. I use a heap of plugins and have never had a problem. The WP community is very diligent at updating and if someone doesn't update there will almost certainly be an alternative plugin built quickly.

Most modern themes will not cause you any problems.
You're really missing out if you don't experiment with some of the great new widget supported themes out ther (I know kubrick is widget ready, its just not as good!).

I recommend not using the default, personally I think that no matter what you do to it, it still looks plain.

I am not sure it this applies to you or not, but one of my mistake was spending too much effort and time on how the site would look rather than focusing more on content and link building efforts.

If you have some programming background (php and html), modifying existing Wordpress themes isn't too hard, but if you are new at it (like me) it might be better to go with a decent free template and concentrate on content.

If you still want to customize it, just keep in mind that Wordpress index.php "pulls in" 4 building blocks: header, body, sidebar and footer. Although cutline, copyblog, neoclassic themes have been downloaded many, many times, I would choose one of these themes rather than Kubrick. I like Neoclassic the best because you can easily replace the header image and it has a special php code to rotate 6 images (cool!). Whatever theme you select, make sure to choose one with "widget-ready" feature so that you can easily drop in/out features like calendar, categories, etc. tags.

For some basic info, you can read these two articles:

How To Create Your Own Wordpress Theme - Jonathan Wold

http://www.andrewstrojny.com/web-design/convert-xhtml-css-to-wordpress/

Neoclassic theme is located here:

WordPress Themes — Pearsonified

Good luck!

Kev:rolleyes:

Hmm, a helpful post with no apparent attempt to get me to click your site links, what a nice guy. I am definitely more concerned with content and seo than aesthetics.

One of my concerns with using a blog format is that less tech savvy consumers may land on it and think, what is this ugly thing, it can't be safe to buy from this place. How do you personally insert affiliate banners in wordpress? I use to put them in the code area when typing my post, however, I am not so sure if this is the best option.

Does any know if you can use wordpress to create a landing page for ppc that can be made to look like a normal landing page, or are there inherent features of wordpress pages that prevent them from certain manipulation. Thanks for the response, I am going to research all the links you provided.

Wordpress has a feature which allows you to create a "static" page (like Abou Me page, etc.). Static pages contain no blogs at all and are not listed within your blog entries or archives. This page can be easily created within Wordpress admin panel. I haven't tried this option yet but from what I read, this might serve your needs as a landing page?

By the way, if you plan on using WordPress quite a bit, I would suggest that you pick up a copy of "WordPress for Dummies" by Lisa Sabin-Wilson. Although the book has somewhat of duplicative information among WordPress.com, WordPress.org and WordPressMU sections, she explains in detail how certains tags work within all themes. For 16 bucks USD, I thought it was worth the money to have a reference on my hand rather than hunting for information on the net.

Good luck!

Thanks for more info. I will probably pick that book up if I can't quickly find an equivlanet on the net. Static pages, ehh, sounds like what I am looking for. Thanks again.

banners
Back