The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Why Double Opt-in isn't Required...EVER

eMonetize

Everyone has their opinion as to which is better and why. However, there is no reason to ever run double opt-in...in my opinion.

There is no reason why you can't send your own confirmation email and then move those that click (confirm) to a separate campaign for those that confirmed.

With many ESPs having automation features, you can move a user based on clicking a link. If you can't you could create custom script that collects the email and moves the user or at worst, manually do it.

Technically, you don't even have to send a confirmation email. You could send a message with a link that should be clicked on. Link for you bribe.

You could also confirm based on opening instead of click. If you want to be more lenient.

Lastly, if you are proving a bribe, tell the user on your squeeze page that it will be sent to the email they enter. So they know entering in a fake one isn't going to work.

By doing the above, you can can build a list of both and test and see if you are leaving money on the table using double opt-in.

Also, if someone doesn't confirm using whatever method you choose, you can resend the message.

Just my 2 cents.

there is no reason to ever run double opt-in

There is if you are sending email from or to Canada. It's against the law to NOT do DOI. It's called CASL.

It would be great if we could do SOI but we can't without risking up to a $1,000,000 fine and possible jail time.

Can you show me in the CASL law where it specifically says that a confirmation email is mandatory?

If that was the case, then no one could use single opt-in ever. Because there is no way to prevent someone from CA from signing up.

Can you show me in the CASL law where it specifically says that a confirmation email is mandatory?

If that was the case, then no one could use single opt-in ever. Because there is no way to prevent someone from CA from signing up.

I stated that too simply, sorry. DOI is an extra protection measure. The real issue is getting express permission.

If you don't get spam complaints to the authorities, you wouldn't have any problem. It's an issue if you do, so you have to be able to prove express consent. If you can do it in some way other than DOI, with a written note or something else they deem acceptable, (as mentioned in this article: CASL: Double Opt-in is not Express Consent (and vice-versa) — Randall Craig) you can cover your butt. Always save your records of consent - time and date, email address used to give consent, etc. to protect yourself.

From CASL Prep: How to Set Up Double Opt-In with Dynamics CRM and ClickDimensions - CRM Software Blog

Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) will come into effect on July 1st, 2014. Among other things, it requires that businesses have the express consent of the people that they send Commercial Electronic Messages (i.e. emails and other digital communications) to.

It also means that, moving forward, you must have a mechanism in place to ensure that the subscribers you do acquire in the future have given you their permission. One of the best ways to develop a permission-based marketing practice is through implementing a double opt-in mechanism (rather than single opt-in or opt-out).

The government CASL websites:
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation
Canada’s anti-spam legislation is now in effect.

MI
Back