The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Why are signature links nofollow?

I don't think there is a law on the internet that says forum signatures MUST be do follow. The forum owner can decide whether signature is do follow or now follow, indeed I know a few forums where you are not allowed signatures at all.

Sigh... just another example of the evilness which is nofollow! Why shouldnt sig links be dofollow?! If someone is contributing then why shouldnt they receive the benefits?

More and more sites are implementing nofollow on all their outbound links. This is defeating the whole principal of the internet and its also not doing Google any good. Imagine if we ALL nofollowed all of our outward links tomorrow? Google would be screwed then.

I think it's more of a precaution against helping forum spammers get link juice to their sites when they don't deserve it..I could be wrong.

I do agree that not every signature should be nofollowed but I can understand why they do it, if spamming is the reason. All for the greater good! (Unless I'm completely wrong...)

That is exactly why they do it but there are other ways around the spammers. Like having a minimum post count and scripts that strip out links posts below a certain word count. Also having good mods helps to keep out the riff-raff. Admittedly this is more work that adding a nofollow to everything.

Sigh... just another example of the evilness which is nofollow! Why shouldnt sig links be dofollow?! If someone is contributing then why shouldnt they receive the benefits?

The forum was setup for discussions and share ideas, not to "share revenue" or provide signature etc etc.

There are forums that allow signatures, share revenue etc etc, if that is why you are participating inf a forum for such benefit why not go to such forum.

I think criticism of a forum for deciding its own rules is unfounded. I use a forum called what consumer, it does not allow signature at all, I still participate because I find the forum useful and not because I want to be rewarded or get signature links etc.

I think you should participate in a forum because you like the topic or whatever, not because you want do follow links.

The forum was setup for discussions and share ideas
Im sharing my ideas about nofollow with you.

My participation in a forum doesnt depend on PR. I just believe that the no follow attribute is used too much and if my sig links point to a website that is topically relevant to the forum, then I would prefer that the sig link counted, who wouldnt?! Its not gonna make me leave though!

Last edited:
Minimum post counts are put on to prevent spammers, which is put in place on this forum - besides, spammers are better off using DP, SP to spam sigs.

I'm obviously still here so nofollow sig links didn't scare me off - just wanted to find the reasoning behind them. This forum would still be used for the same purpose but would also benefit its members...

Guys, it seems to me that nothing changed regarding signature links from the years, since it is still depends on the post length. I signed out and checked some long and informative answer where dofollow links were atached as signature. Am I wrong?

Guys, it seems to me that nothing changed regarding signature links from the years, since it is still depends on the post length. I signed out and checked some long and informative answer where dofollow links were atached as signature. Am I wrong?

Yeap. Truly said Bagi.

:goodjobsign:

DON.

Re: - Nofollow links

Hi

I am a newbie on this forum and as you people are discussing about nofollow on signature links I have just read the signature rules of this forum which says that "No follow" will be applied to signature on only those posts that are of less than 80 words.

Thanks

Maneet Puri
Lexolution IT Services

It doesn't matter if the signature is nofollow or dofollow. Search engines will decide whether or not they will crawl the link.

Yes but not all the time.

Let's say for example, the yahoo answers source link. It is nofollow link. But how come there emerge backlinks from yahoo answers?

That's what I meant.

MI
Back