“Adavice”/  “1Win

Who uses google alerts?

K

Administrator
Administrator
Internet Marketing Deals
High Converting Landing Pages | ConversionWise
It's something I tried but never seemed to grasp

I think I may get more into follow.net in the future but who uses alerts and how do you use them to your advantage?

I've used them a couple of times, most recently to get ideas for my blog. Just turned it off a couple of days ago, wasn't really doing what I'd hoped but I think it has the potential to, depending on the niche. It's a good way to see what the competition is doing, if nothing else.

I had once used it, but somehow I found it too laborious and annoying,
or maybe I just was not interested enough in the topic ;)

Funny, I thought that, too. It's probably a good way to find blogs to comment on. Maybe.

I imagine alerts are useful to companies that want to track what people are saying about their brand online. I also heard some local business owners use alerts to get notified when websites publish some local news related to their niche that can affect their business or provide publicity.

As for content inspiration, learning what the market wants, or checking out the competition, I prefer Jay's guide on using footprints to find forums and blogs in a niche. It can really dig out stuff you would normally find browsing the SERPs backwards, but they somehow manage to get active members or comments that people sign with human names. The lack of annoying notifications also means one less task to go through, which is good for immediate focus and long-term sanity.

I originally used it for myself and my clients to keep my ear to the ground on anything that could be positive or negative to our brands. Google alerts gives you the opportunity to respond to anything negative and to cash in on anything positive.

I also spent sometime with it trying to keep up with breaking information and news in specific niches so i could appear to be breaking the news on some of my niche sites.

I think it has some value, you just have to see if is a good fit for branding data and content updates for your niche sites.

I also agree with vellex, alerts can be an irritation. I also like Jays method of using footprints & forums, very productive.

I've had Google Alerts setup for PeerFly for over 4 years now :)

You obviously find it useful, Luke. Is it okay to ask the purpose? I mean, is it to get a heads up when people are publishing your brand name, or for more practical purposes like finding potential traffic/ideas/forums, etc.?

I've used alerts for many years now myself also, some times for the benefits of sites I own and in other cases just for updates on hobbies (i.e. Southampton Football Club). Always found it a useful service.

You obviously find it useful, Luke. Is it okay to ask the purpose? I mean, is it to get a heads up when people are publishing your brand name, or for more practical purposes like finding potential traffic/ideas/forums, etc.?

I use it just to keep up with what people are saying about PeerFly. I'm pretty active on most of the affiliate forums, but sometimes I'll miss a post and it'll pop up in my inbox from Google Alerts and I also like reading/commenting on blogs that mention PeerFly :)

I use it just to keep up with what people are saying about PeerFly. I'm pretty active on most of the affiliate forums, but sometimes I'll miss a post and it'll pop up in my inbox from Google Alerts and I also like reading/commenting on blogs that mention PeerFly :)

Excellent idea! I hadn't considered using it for forum updates.

I've never really got it to work to it's full potential I don't think.

Any videos etc would be great?

It's something I tried but never seemed to grasp

I think I may get more into follow.net in the future but who uses alerts and how do you use them to your advantage?

Hi

If you are using Google Alerts, you might want to check out our App, Neuoogle, in the Apple Store. Neuoogle works in a similar way to Google Alerts, but provides the capability to manage all of your searches within a single mobile application. No more switching between a web browser, RSS or email client and then back to a browser to read the article.

Furthermore we utilise notifications, telling you exactly which search has new results, meaning you can choose to either action the notification or leave it until later.

Lastly, we support a additional filtering, including by URL or region.

Neuoogle is free and is currently an iPhone only app. The android version is coming very soon.

Neuoogle Team

banners
Back