The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

What is a paid link that passes PageRank?

genuwine4532

affiliate
Below is a quote straight out of Google Webmaster Tools:

However, some SEOs and webmasters engage in the practice of buying and selling links that pass PageRank, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites. Buying or selling links that pass PageRank is in violation of Google's webmaster guidelines and can negatively impact a site's ranking in search results.

What is a LINK that PASSES PAGERANK?

Ok

So if I paid for a link in a directory it has to show "no follow" on their end for my site link?

Not sure how their rule will impact me, I have about 5 links that I paid for several deep links in a high rank directory, should I be worried and check what is going on?

Not sure how strict they are on directory links. A few months ago though I do remember a ton of directory sites losing rank which was thought to be a penalty.

The focus was more on specific Text Link Selling companies who used to sell links based on PR with the underlying promise that buying links through them would increase PR and specific high PR sites that sold direct links.

Thanks Linda

Ok, well I'm glad I only bought a few (being cheap pays off;) )

I haven't noticed any backlash on my site for this but I think I'm going to stop the paid just to be safe and stick with the free directories only, the attraction of the paid directories is that they approve links right away, while the free ones you have to wait a long time.

Thanks Linda

Thanks Linda,

Great link, I bookmarked it!

Google actually got caught posting those passing page rank paid links on one of their own sites and that is how I even found out about this. Here is a link with details, I found it very interesting: Google Whois Domaintools Paid Links Passing PageRank | beu blog

That link also has some great new domain tools from Google and Whois, that gives helfpul info about your sites! Like scanning your sites and giving you an SEO grade!

The safest way to buy paid links is to make sure they are nofollow. Although you won't get penalized for a paid (dofollow) link that pases PR unless Google finds out.

I am yet to see how google can possibly know if I gave Linda a call and then sent her $50 via paypal and she just happened to blog about my site with a link.

If someone can develop a program that can detect that then we're all doomed anyway.

Stay away from paid link farms like text-link-ads, use your common sense when you buy links so that nobody can trace it and you will have no problems.

Google will find out

Yeah but Google always finds out...Eventually anyway. I have heard some horror stories recently so I'll play it safe.

The whole point of paying for the link is for the backlink power, if it's a no-follow then doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Although actually I have been getting quite a bit of traffic from 2 directories where I paid for a link, so I guess that in itself is valuable with the no-follow.

That's fine for moderately competitive keywords, but if you want to get ranked for big keywords like "mortgages" and "credit cards" then you will have little choice but to break out the check book.

John Chow was very much NOT one of the greatest google slaps in history. He doesn't even compete in a competitive vertical.

John Chow was also very stupid about how he went about manipulating the results. Hell, even *I* knew he was heading for a slapping. Any seo worth of pinch of salt would have know too. He couldn't have been any more obvious about his paid search engine manipulation strategies had he screamed it from the roof tops.

Google also encourages webmasters (through Matt Cutts blog) to report paid links that passes link juice. Thats one way they find out about paid links.

You are right Mr Cat! And they do the same in the Webmaster Tools Help section under the subject where they provide a link to report sites that do this!:eek:

Try not to go public with your text ad sales.
Paid links still works. I have a bunch of happy advertisers just paying for the links PR value.

banners
Back