The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Webmasters a sad breed?

temi

affiliate
I wonder if webmasters stick to the "normal" routine the rest of the world stick to, for example its bank holiday weekend and I am typing this message, while "normal" people should be away on a mini holiday, I have already exchange dozens of emails with other webmasters from all over the world today.

Just wondering if I and a few sad webmasters like me are the exception or most webmasters are workaholics who take their laptop on holiday and logon to the net to read the latest forum post when the wife is not looking.

I don't think it is 'workaholicism' it is more of a relaxed way of life for me. Even when I am away, I still log on with my lappy and pop into the forums to keep up.

I admit that since becoming a webmaster, I've become a bit more of a recluse <sp> but it's for the greater good. I'm finally doing something that I believe has a future and I really enjoy it. When I'm working on my sites, I'm working for myself so it's a great feeling. I'm hoping there will once come a day when I can live off of the combined profits of a number of websites and maybe a small hosting company.

So being a webmaster is some form of therapy at the same time, excellent Ken. BTW how is the hosting company idea shaping up? Found a server supplier yet?

For me, webmastering is something I didn't know I'd like as much as I do. I wouldn't mind doing this out of my home so long as I could pay my bills and put a little extra in the bank each month. I have a long way to go to get there but I believe I'm persistant and intelligent enough to make it happen.

As for webhosting, I've actually had to drop that idea for a while. I finally did my taxes and was advised to register my sites as a business, regardless of whether or not I believe I'll make 5 dollars or 5 million. When I do start to bring in a profit, I'll be sure to keep the records straight for tax purposes so I don't get nailed (I hate paying).

I was told that I can likely write off a portion of my rent, computer upgrades, marketing, hydro, etc as long as it's a registered business with Victoria.

Now I'm just looking for a new webhost for the short term with the liklihood of a reseller program. I've PM'd ovi (at Lifesupporters) with my requirements and gave him some time to come up with pricing that I can understand in CDN currency. I'm also looking at alternate hosts such as powweb.com for the basic services for the interim.

Okay,
Let me know how the negotiation with ovi develops, if you did not reach a deal with Ovi I can start you off with the following:
- 40 GB web space (cPanel control panel)
- Perl Desk support desk
- I can arrange to have you helpdesk manned from 9.00 AM - 9.00PM UK time
- A few links from relevant hosting websites

Here I thinks I advice you to do NOW.
- Register and host the domain name you want to use for this projects so that it can start getting indexed by search engine so that by the time you are ready to your domain already have some search engine presence
Thanks

I NEVER bring a laptop, or anything else that has to do with business, while away on Family vacations. And we take A LOT of vacations, because when I'm not vacationing, I'm working (playing) round the clock.

Today we went out. Left a 9:15 am, and just got back in. We went to a place about a hours drive away called Folly Farm. http://www.folly-farm.co.uk/ it was great, we go regularly down that way. We are really fortunate where we live, as there is so much to do, these pictures are taken of the canal at the back of where we live. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.brian.wagstaffe/Section2.html

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/jim.shead/The-Neath-and-Tennant-Canals.html

http://ims.npt.gov.uk/imsapps/waterfalls/waterfall3.aspx

We are also 12 miles from Gower Heritage coast, and 10 miles from the Brecon Beacons National Park. Spoiled for choice really.

Whow OWG,
You are much worst than me, thanks for the description though, it will come in handy should I decide to pop down to Brecon Beacons National Park one of this days :

temi said:
Okay,
Let me know how the negotiation with ovi develops, if you did not reach a deal with Ovi I can start you off with the following:
- 40 GB web space (cPanel control panel)
- Perl Desk support desk
- I can arrange to have you helpdesk manned from 9.00 AM - 9.00PM UK time
- A few links from relevant hosting websites

Here I thinks I advice you to do NOW.
- Register and host the domain name you want to use for this projects so that it can start getting indexed by search engine so that by the time you are ready to your domain already have some search engine presence
Thanks

It's actually a straight transfer of 5 databases to a new webhosting account.

we seem to be talking about two different things, I was talking about a reseller account, you seem to be talking about hosting for your existing website only.

I was of the assumption that if you can secure a reseller hosting account, you will host your website comfortably and then resell surplus space.
Thanks

I was looking for a reseller account but bandwidth really became and issue. I couldn't find a reseller account that had upward of 200GB monthly bandwidth for a reasonable price so I had to scrap the idea for now. I'm not in a position to be spending a lot of extra cash at the moment with my daughters birthday coming up, summer holidays and guests arriving from the states, not to mention some badly needed maintenance to my car.

The reason I require so much bandwidth is because I'll be a download site for a lot of game movies through Hobby-Universe and these files are not only reasonably sized, but they get hit often. Now with Fraps 2.5 out and the ability to record beyond 1024 x 768 cleanly, these movie files are only going to grow. I have to be ready for it.

I've shelved the reseller idea until later in the year, most likely fall.

Sorry temi, my bad.

Okay Ken,
Thanks for the update info. So for now all you need is webspace to host you own site

temi said:
Okay Ken,
Thanks for the update info. So for now all you need is webspace to host you own site

Ya sorry temi to put you on the wrong track, my head has been spinning with how badly Canaca has screwed me over that I'm at my wits end. I simply can't believe that a company as bad as they are remains in business.

Aggressive marketing of a company is a sure fire indicator of problems in client satisfaction/ repeat business. Most businsses will lose 20% of their clients in a year through no fault of their own. businesses fail, people retire/die, companes change hands and contracts are awarded to their currect suppliers. Agressive marketing is a warning shot to tell you to dig further.

temi said:
OWG,
Please give me till weekend I will put a special price together for UKWW members.
Temi

BTW, as silly as it seems, I'm still interested to see this price and package details (including bandwidth).

I have a server, but I want to spread some of my sites around, as they should naturally be linked, but I don't want to trip a cross linking filter, so a couple of options would be better.

MI
Back