The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Web Hosting - Does free domain tempt you?

Would free domain name you buy web hosting?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Don't like gimmics

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I love freebiessssss

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

temi

affiliate
Most web hosting companies offer you 'free domain name' with your web hosting package, does this ever tempt you to buy hosting from them?

It may tilt the scales in the favor of the host if he's got all other features I am looking for but will not be deciding factor in choosing hosting provider at least for me...

I am actually outright hostile to the idea and the supermarket buy one get one free, apparently it works very well for the supermarkets.

I've heard of hosts that offer "free" domains. Then, when you cancel, they tell you that
the fine print says they own that domain - hence reason it was free!

I've heard of hosts that offer "free" domains. Then, when you cancel, they tell you that
the fine print says they own that domain - hence reason it was free!

Yes, I have heard this one before as well, so you sort of become a hostage. I also avoid host that ask to take control of your domain before you can host with them. I prefer to be in charge of my own DNS and domain ownership

NO. Need to take a look at the overall package. Oftentimes the freebies are there to blind you of the rip off fees you'll be paying in the long run.

Sometimes it is just pure and simply genuine with the hosting company wanting to claim more in the market!

Whatever it is - look carefully at what the hosting company is offering and always compare short term and long term costs.

Not sure if I really understood how the free domain thing work.

Do they keep the name on your name or do the registered name has any restrictions?

But for some reason, I stay out of that option.

-- I do not take their free domain.

I may be loosing some money there!

i voted no.

i first look if the host is good and have good support and a good uptime.
and a good reputation.

but a freebie is ok, but no must.

better have a kickass host.

Its ususlly in tie with some sort of term like you can not transfer or there is a minimum hosting package you need for a couple of years

as long the free domain give me the ownership. I can have the domain manager. i dont want to be hostage on crapy hosting server.

With domains 7 or 8 bucks/year (for most) I would not think this really a deciding factor. Now giving away a domain as a bonus is a nice add on...

Bryan

No, I prefer to register domains with Godaddy (or Namecheap, Dynadot, etc.) but not with web hosts, as this way I have full control of my domain and can change the DNS whenever I need.

if its in your name then yes but otherwise no - I had a freedomain name once and It wasn't in my name - I didn't like it!

If a host mentioned on their website that the domain is registered in your name, and you have full control over the namservers - Would you be just as cautious as them not mentioning anything at all?

MI
Back