The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Walmart is closing hundreds of stores and laying off thousands of employees

AF-Roger

Walmart is closing 269 stores and laying off thousands of employees.

The move will affect more than 16,000 employees, including 10,000 in the US.

The closings include 154 locations in the US — 102 of which are the company's smallest stores, called Walmart Express, which have been in pilot since 2011.

Walmart is closing the stores to shift resources to Walmart's Supercenters and smaller-format Neighborhood Market stores.

Read more Walmart is closing hundreds of stores and laying off thousands of employees

Well, at least they waited until after Christmas to lower the boom. Employees sure aren't getting much notice for trying to find another job.

Sounds like we get to keep our Walmarts here, north of the border. We don't have those other two stores they mentioned - Sam's Club and Neighbourhood Markets.

I've only been in a Walmart store once or twice in the past eight years but I have a friend who goes regularly. Apparently, they sell a lot of groceries, now. They didn't in the past.

That is shocking. All the Walmart stores around here are always packed. And yes can even get groceries alot cheaper there.

They are just closing those smaller Walmart Expresses that you've probably never seen before. Those stores compete with Family Dollar & Dollar General. These aren't the Supercenters or Neighborhood stores. They're actually opening over 400 Supercenters, Neighborhoods and Sam's Clubs. Most of those store closings are located within 10 miles of the Supercenters.

Besides, Walmart had it's most profitable years during the Great Recession. They were figuratively printing money with 5 to 8% net sales gains ever year. Trust me. They are not hurting. My brother works there. He got a nice fat bonus right in the middle of the recession.

They are just closing those smaller Walmart Expresses that you've probably never seen before. Those stores compete with Family Dollar & Dollar General. These aren't the Supercenters or Neighborhood stores. They're actually opening over 400 Supercenters, Neighborhoods and Sam's Clubs. Most of those store closings are located within 10 miles of the Supercenters.

Besides, Walmart had it's most profitable years during the Great Recession. They were figuratively printing money with 5 to 8% net sales gains ever year. Trust me. They are not hurting. My brother works there. He got a nice fat bonus right in the middle of the recession.

So the employees will be shuffled to the new stores, rather than lose their jobs?

Some will, but not all. But, let's be realistic here. If you found a traffic source that could guarantee you 3 million verifiable clicks from real people with no more than 16k clicks of bot traffic, how long would it take for you to send your first deposit? That (16k employees out of Walmart's total workforce in the US) doesn't even qualify as a squirrel fart. That's one (1) half of one (1) percent.

If you look at the map for the location of all those closed stores, you'd understand why they were closed. I understand how one would hate to see one lose their job through no fault of their own, but to Walmart, it's like one of us killing a losing campaign.

MI
Back