The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Value of backlinks . . .

Bill Smith

affiliate
I'm fairly new - but making money - and just starting to create quality backlinks to raise the value and position of pages/posts on my own Wordpress sites.

May be a dumb question but - is it best to create individual backlinks for specific pages and posts that are individually keyworded on my websites (e.g www.domain.com/blah) - or is it relevant to make backlinks just for the root (e.g. www.domain.com) ??

Or another way of looking at it - does the benefit of backlinks raise the value of a whole website - or just those individual pages and posts with their own backlinks ??

Or maybe both of the above ??

Any thought gratefully received.

Kind regards

Bill Smith

The benefits of backlinks go to a specific page, not the whole site. However, if your navigation scheme is done properly, the navigation links will, spread some of that benefit to other pages on your site.

For example, many sites will link to your home page only. However, if the home page contains links to other important pages on your site, those links will carry some of the PageRank (in the case of Google and similar constructs for Yahoo and Bing) to the other pages at the end of those links.

Last edited by a moderator:
The benefits of baclinks go to a specific page, not the whole site. However, if your navigation scheme is done properly, the navigation links will, spread some of that benefit to other pages on your site.

For example, many sites will link to your home page only. However, if the home page contains links to other important pages on your site, those links will carry some of the PageRank (in the case of Google and similar constructs for Yahoo and Bing) to the other pages at the end of those links.

Thanks - that all makes sense.

While reading current SEO chatter I am understanding there's a feeling that backlinks that don't carry traffic are being (or will be) downgraded in value.

So - for example - an artificially created backlink from a site with a PR of 6 which most folk would generally consider bathes their PR 0 sites in some reflected glory, will have a decreasing value in the future as Google tweaks its algorithms to assess whether those links generate visitors or not.

Quite how Google would measure that seems unclear and the airwaves do seem to be full of varied opinions as people try to guess what Google will do next.

Seems to me that building a business that is entirely dependent upon the whims of another single business is always going to be fraught with problems.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Well my thoughts are that Google will always develop new algorithms and thus there will be new ways to get high quality backlinks. Backlinks can be a problem but if you use some black hat techniques along with white hat techniques. There is will be away to overcome it.

The benefits of baclinks go to a specific page, not the whole site. However, if your navigation scheme is done properly, the navigation links will, spread some of that benefit to other pages on your site.

Just read that and I found it really helpful. Thank you for the tips minstrel. Its useful to know.

On my blog, I have a main post which stays on th home page, pretty much like a normal website and then any new paste just has its own page.

The first page is by far the page I wish to be my main search engine page, so in that respect - even tho my homepage url [removed] will direct you to that post, do you think it would be better for SEO reasons to promote the post page that sits on the home page.
(i.e) [removed]

I would be very interested to know. Thank you in advance!!!

Just read that and I found it really helpful. Thank you for the tips minstrel. Its useful to know.

On my blog, I have a main post which stays on th home page, pretty much like a normal website and then any new paste just has its own page.

The first page is by far the page I wish to be my main search engine page, so in that respect - even tho my homepage url [removed] will direct you to that post, do you think it would be better for SEO reasons to promote the post page that sits on the home page.
(i.e) [removed]

I would be very interested to know. Thank you in advance!!!

Good question. My default blog page has always been the latest post or posts. Given that the blog itself is a niche blog, the content does change but within the same general content niche. Would it be better to have static content for the default "home page"? I suppose part of the answer is that it would depend on the static content and the remainder of the posts.

I'd be interested in other opinions here myself.

Backlinks are very important on determining SERP as well as the traffic. You have to get backlinks to your main website (that is, yourdomain.com) as well as to your inner pages too. However, try to get more links to your main site instead of inner pages. Once you are ranked well to your main site, then you can go for the inner pages.

I sometimes would backlink my landing page (as well as optimize the heck out of it). But for general site promotion, I would backlink my index page.

I sometimes would backlink my landing page (as well as optimize the heck out of it). But for general site promotion, I would backlink my index page.

I agree. Funnel as much link juice as possible to the home page and from there you can use internal links to distribute it to the pages you most want to highlight.

It is best practice to get more backlinks to main index page as well as to the inner pages. I had noticed that there are people who intend to get backlinks only to their home page, that does not help much to get traffic via search engines.

Me too had earlier used to get backlinks only to my home page, but I had noticed that visits to my inner pages are low & the traffic wasn't unique and etc. Then, I tried to get more backlinks to my inner pages/posts, I had got more traffic on this way to my all the pages of my site. Normally, what I do is, if I post a new page, I will get at least 50 backlinks to the new page. That really helps to suck more SEO juice :D & it gives more popularity to my home paeg too. However, time to time, I used to get few backlinks to my home page too. :)

If your site is having good navigations and SEO friendly then pointing to home page from other site could also helpful for other pages of your site as well. It can help your internal pages for PR, ranking etc. But if you would like to highlight any specific page to your visitors to let them know about your products/service then it's better to give them specific page URL. So that they can directly go to the page and can see what you're offering etc. This could be helpful for getting traffic to your site and promotional perspective.

Backlinks are very important on determining SERP as well as the traffic. You have to get backlinks to your main website (that is, yourdomain.com) as well as to your inner pages too. However, try to get more links to your main site instead of inner pages. Once you are ranked well to your main site, then you can go for the inner pages.

Perfectly said could'nt have said it better this is exactly what you should be doing listen to this guy he knows what he's talking bout

Yes, minstrel was right about the links being for individual pages. You have to get links for your individual pages on your site in order to get your site up in the rankings.

I have found that back links are the absolute most important part of search engine optimization, by far. If you get tons of good quality one way back links and you have good on page SEO, you are going to be golden.

Normally, I used to get backlinks to every inner pages of my site as well as to the main site (root) too. That is the one of the reason why my site is stay on top on Google for some keywords. Instead of getting backlinks only to root, It is better to spread to inner pages.

MI
Back