The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

UTM Codes and CPV One with Google Analytics 4

SorinK

affiliate
Hi!

I recently came across an insightful blog post by Radu D that delves into optimizing campaign tracking using UTM codes and CPV One with Google Analytics 4 (GA4). As we all know, accurate data tracking is crucial for successful campaign optimization, and this guide provides a comprehensive walkthrough. Here's a summary of the key points:

1. Understanding UTM Codes:

• Overview of UTM codes and their parameters, including source, medium, campaign, term, content, source platform, creative format, and marketing tactic.

2. Why Capture UTM Params into the Ad Tracker:

• Importance of integrating UTM parameters into your ad tracker (CPV One) for effective campaign comparison across multiple traffic sources.

3. How to Capture UTM Parameters in CPV One:

• Step-by-step guide on creating a campaign in CPV One.
  • Configuration of Extra Tokens or Ad Tokens to capture UTM parameters.
  • Example URL structure for incorporating these tokens into the landing page URL.

4. Tracking Additional Parameters:

• Guidance on passing more parameters using the same pattern.

5. Conclusion:

• Integration of UTM codes and CPV One into campaign URLs is highlighted as a powerful strategy for gaining valuable insights.
  • Enables seamless data integration with Google Analytics 4.
  • The tracking setup allows for data-driven decisions, campaign optimization, and remarkable results.

Blog Post: This can be found on their blog website.

Have you implemented UTM tracking in your campaigns, and how has it impacted your optimization process?

Have you implemented UTM tracking in your campaigns, and how has it impacted your optimization process?

When working with GA4 as a default --yes
You can set up Real Time with a box that detects utm_source.

You can also drill down to normal URL query string?parameters and and sort individual parameter key and or values.

utm has been around for over 10 years --nothing new except GA4 seem to like it as a default
{utm_xxx} is like a token in a tracker that {utm_xxx} is just a python variable? much like $utm_xxx is a C type variable used in PHP and other languages.
{utm_source}=creative12345 or whatever value you want this is not rocket science --maybe it is new to you.

I started tracking with Urchin 6 in 2010 --fun fact ;)
Tracking with utm

1706893879265.png

If your tracking system is worth a damn; you should be able to append &and=this to any URL string --in fact I do this at ad networks

utm_ has a special significance as Urchin was bought by Google and was the base code prototype for what is Google-Analytics. Urchin was originally written in Pearl. I learned Perl for web development years ago. Today it's a dinosaur for web front ends now.

banners
Back