The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Uploading wp files, plugins.

P

positivecarry

Hello everyone,

I really don't know where else I could find this answer as it appears to be one of those small steps someone would show you if you learned from a person face to face.

Basically, I am uncertain as to whether or not I am uploading wordpress files in the correct manner. I am using filezilla and the upload feature in cpanel to complete these uploads.

Two dilemmas, both revolve around the uploading of wp files in their entirety.

Dilemma 1: I uploaded the entire new version of wordpress onto my domain.To do this, I clicked on the whole unzipped wordpress file inside filezilla, finding the folder on my desktop through the local site box. When you click on the wordpress folder once(within filezilla) it sends the top level folder(or main folder containing all the wp files) down into a second box where you can drag the whole folder into your domain. If, when the main folder is in this second box, you click on it twice , the main wordpress file with all the folders and files inside it, will open up and layout every file and folder contained within the main wp folder. So you get the wp-admin(folder), wp-contet(folder), and then all the files are below them. The way I installed wordpress on my domain was I highlighted all the folders and files of the main folder in which they were contained, and dragged them over to my domain and let the upload process begin. What I am wondering is- did the method I just described upload wordpress in its entirety or did I leave someone behind by not just uploading the entire main folder? My host's customer service told me to do it this way, but I am questioning its correctness.

Dilemma 2: What made me think about dilemma 1 was trying to upload the wordpress all in one seo plug in. Under the installation instructions for this plug in, the developer states that you should make sure that you upload the top level folder and not just the php files within the folder. The problem I am having with this is that unlike the entire wordpress installation folder, which filezilla does allow to be dragged in its entirety, the AIOSEO plug in folder can not be dragged in its entirety, I can only access all the files of the top level folder and drag them. In the cpanel upload function, I can also only upload these files of the plug in and not the plugin's top level folder. I don't think that just dragging all the files of the main folder will allow the plug in to function properly. I am unsure, this is pretty new to me. So, if anyone has any suggestions regarding these issues they would be much appreciated, thanks.

So sorry I can't help. I'm a proficient WP user but Teli does all my WP back end techy stuff, upgrades and plug-in installations.

I thought she had written a guide for installing WP but I can't find it. Maybe she'll be by this weekend and see this thread.

Thanks for the direction, I'll look into that info and see what I can find.

Checked out the info you pointed me to, I think this is really just an issue of the tools I am using to upload the files. Or maybe I am doing it correctly and I just don't know it. Ahhh... the minutiae of the internet. In his read me file, the plug in author states, "If you're uploading it make sure to upload
the top-level folder. Don't just upload all the php files and put them in `/wp-content/plugins/" Its a matter of whether or not I am capturing that top-level folder, which I believe is just the core folder that you first download to your desktop. I have no way of transferring it, only its contents, which may or may not contain the top level folder information. And I am not quite sure if capturing the top level folder for the whole wp install folder is necessary as well. The search continues.....

I use cpanel (hostgator) and filezilla as well.

1. My experience has been to decompress the download file OUTSIDE of filezilla first (use winzip, pkzip, etc.) to your local directory first, then use filezilla to drag and drop into your desired wp directory.

2. If your upload doesn't work (e.g. your plug in doesn't show up in the wp admin panel), delete the uploaded folder and try to upload again. sometimes simply re-loading them worked for me.

3. In regards to your developer's comment, I would ask him to clarify exactly which file has to be located WHERE in the "top-level" folder. For example if you use cpanel, you can use the cpanel file manager to go all the way up to the root directory (above public_html folder) which I would think render this plug-in useless.

If you want, pm me the info on this plugin and I'll try to upload it to one of my test blog sites using cpanel/filezilla.

good luck!

Another good resource I found is a blog with video tutorials for using and uploading wordpress. It was created by Yaro Starak and Gideon Shelwick. I found their material very useful and easy to use. You can check it out at BecomeABlogger. There is a series of 10 videos that average around 7 minutes. One video is the process of finding themes, downloading to your pc, unzipping and uploading to your server via filezilla. It helped me. :cool:

".... neoclassical theme.....When you upload this theme, you upload the basic wordpress files first,correct, and then upload the theme into the theme folder? Well, any insight is appreciated"

I hope you don't mind positivecarry but I posted your question in this thread in hopes of helping someone else as well. Maybe this outline will help you?

1. download a zipped neoclassical theme

2. decompress (using winip, pkzip, or whatever) to your desired directory (let's say c:\mythemes). A new folder called "neoclassical" will be created at this location: "c:\mythemes\neoclassical"

3. launch filezilla (or some other ftp app) and login into your host provider

4. drag the entire "neoclassical" folder to your desired directory.

5. depending on where you installed your wordpress mysql database, this directory location will vary.

As an example, let's say I have a domain a domain name called "5star-linda-rocks.com" :), and installed Wordpress into this root directory.

Then all you have to do is drag and drop the "neoclassical" theme folder into this directory:

"/public_html/5star-linda-rocks/wp-content/themes/

After moving the file, the final location address will be:
"/public_html/5star-linda-rocks/wp-content/themes/neoclassical"

Now you can log in (http://www.5star-linda-rocks.com/wp-login.php), click the "presentation" link, and see the neoclassical theme listed as one of the options. Simply click on the theme and wordpress admin will activate this theme for you.

Important part of moving files is that you need to move the ENTIRE neoclassical folder, or else it will not work.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot, I 'll add anything that I come across while attempting this to help others along.

Ok, a question here about this rotating themes.php. On the theme author's website he says " oh wait you have to upload the new rotating themes.php". I downloaded neo classical 1.1, does this have this new roatating themes.php already in its folders or do I have to change it?

no, you don't have to do anything.

if you want to test it, just activate the theme, go to your site, hit refresh while pressing down on the shift key..

It appears that the install was successful. Did you upload your own custom photos? If so, how exactly did you get them to the the required size? Ah, I need to get a custom style file too I see, for future proofing.

Here's a weird question , how exactly do you get into the dashboard of this theme from the homepage? It appears there is no admin link.

It appears that the install was successful. Did you upload your own custom photos? If so, how exactly did you get them to the the required size?

All header images are 865x180 pixels. You can use any image editing software like Photoshop, Fireworks, gimp(free), etc. All six images are named header_1, header_2, etc., so you can simply rename your images to these names and upload them into the header folder

Here's a weird question , how exactly do you get into the dashboard of this theme from the homepage? It appears there is no admin link.

Themes have nothing to do with WordPress admin link/dashboard. When you installed WP from your cpanel, it should have provided you with a link. It usually looks something like www.mydomain12345.com/wp-login.php. I don't know if you can get this info from the cpanel afterwards, so you may want to try the above format or contact your host provider.

Ah, I eventually realized to start logging in through that a login.php url , I used the Kubrick before and it had the log in on the homepage.

I know how you feel! I hate getting stuck in technical stuff. Does your hosting program have Fantastico? That's what I use to install my wordpress sites. It does the install for you, you just fill in a little bit of info.
Good Luck!

banners
Back