The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

too many keywords

temi

affiliate
I do not think robot.txt file has anything to do with keywords, it just used to instruct robots about what part of your site they should crawl and what part should be left alone.

Regarding keywords, in what sense do you mean, are you talking about keywords in meta tags or keywords content of a page?

Temi is right robots.txt file simply tells search engines which pages to index. Meta keywords are not really used by search engines no more but its handy to have them up i personally aim for my top 10 keywords but have no more then 10 - 20

Do not put all your keyword on the home page,as much as possible create a separate page for each targeted keyword or 3 to7 keywords in one page. Then link them all to your home page. Next will be link building.

Hello,

How many keywords is too many before Google will spam me or I have to let them know in my robot.txt file?

On my page:
thesunisshining.com/edi_dynamics_navision.htm
I have a lot of keywords (edi) and I was wondering how I would code my robot.txt file in order for the crawlers to know that it is ok that I am using EDI so many times.

Thanks,

Cassandra
thesunisshining.com

I have been told that the best number is 10 phrases.

- Trying to rank for so many keywords on a single page just decreases the focus of the topic of what your page is all about. Spread out your keywords to their appropriate pages and group together similar meaning keywords.

- Less keywords targeted for a single page gives it more focus and better to rank higher. And possibly get more link bait possibilities and you get more deep links that help out in the overall ranking of the homepage.

- Do not rely only on Meta keywords tag. It is almost useless these days.

- Robots.txt is just for blocking pages you do not want to get indexed. Not keywords you want to block from search engines. Aside from this purpose, the new Robots.txt standard can also be used to point where your XML sitemap is which is the reverse of the discluding in robots.txt. The XML sitemap is used to tell search engines all the pages you want it to crawl but not limited to what is listed.

My slant on it is this:
First, I can't remember the last time I included a KW MetaTag
Second, if you do use the KW Tag, don't fill it full of evrything the you can think of and paste it sitewide
Third, Make the KW Tag customised for each page and contain only words relevent to each page

Save yourself the work and worry, just delete the KW Tag.

I have always been taught that you can never have too many keywords, providing that you have enough conent to backup those keywords that you are using.

Try a ratio of 2 keywords to every few hundred words or 2 relevant articles.

There has been a lot of talk on this issue on many other forums and webmaster guides that i am reading.

~ Mike

I wouldn't target any more than 2-3 keywords (phrases) per page and have around the 5% mark as a guide for the percentage of keyword volume that makes up the text on your page.

All I can say is that, you must use your keywords naturally, the type that make sense. Do not be so conscious about how many times you will repeat your keywords to get a high ranking. As for one thing, it is not the only thing to be considered in SEO. Let us put in our minds that people who will be reading or visiting our site will learn something from it.

If you're referring to Meta Keywords, then the optimal number is zero. No major search engine gives weight to them. Other sites rank at the top of the engines without any Meta Keywords.

Right, robots.txt is not a file for keyword issues. It is there to tell crawlers how to index your site, index what and don't index what. :)
For keywords, spam is a real problem, the standard is different for every single aspect of SEO. For page contents, 2-5% would be OK.
I also recommend you to use some variants of your main keywords, this would lead to rank higher for more keywords and at the same time would not be considered as spam.

Wish this help,

MI
Back