The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Thrive - What kind of server spec for 500k-1mil impressions a day?

Sephrata

Hi

Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of spec dedicated server is needed for 500k-1mil impressions a day?

I'm not interested in cloud hosted.

Thank you!

Impressions = when an advert is grabbed and counted by the source (traffic network).

Cloud hosting with Thrive is $799 a month for the volume I need.

I think you can try start with VPS server, Dedicated server is not required for now.
4 GB RAM, SSD, Intel Xeon, 2 cores, and 2 TB bandwidth will be enough for you, You can try with this and if needed you can always move to dedicated server.

$799 is too much, take a look at digitalocean, linode or aws for cloud hosting. Benefit of cloud server is that, you can increase or decrease server resource according to your need without any downtime and much effort with paying extra or saving more. Note that, most of the cloud server do not provide traditional cPanel (So it may be hard for first time users)

For normal server you can try
a2hosting, siteground, inmotion etc.

With little optimization (caching, minifying js and css etc) you can reduce server resources and that will save you some money

I don't think you quite follow what a tracker is and how it works.

I'm not hosting a website. The tracker is there to collect information on my impressions - device type, model, os, model, city, country etc. as well as whatever tracking tokens my traffic sources provide (minimum of site id).

There is no way a 4GB server will be able to manage 500k-1mil impressions a day (trackers use mainly MySQL/PHP resources).

$799 is the cost of Thrive to provide their tracker for c. 2mil impressions a day without the need for me to host it and worldwide coverage with AWS data centres. This is a complicated setup they use with Cloud Stacking and it's not for the faint hearted.

16CPU/32GB

Or you can just scale horizontally with cheaper, less powerful nodes.

2 HAProxys for load balancer
X amount of web servers nodes
X amount of PHP-FPM farm nodes
1 MySQL master or MySQL master with X amount of slaves (reads on slaves, writes on master)

Go on with Dual Xeon E5 2620 or 2650, 32 or 64GB and 250GB or 500GB SSD or NVm, 1Gbps or recommended 10Gbps Network, Bandwidth 10TB or so. Price range would be $189 to $200.

MI
Back