The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

The end of search engine marketing?

v9designbuild

I want to go back to the turn of the millennium, not for nostalgia's sake but because it all seemed so easy then, at a time when I was first introduced to website structuring and marketing. It seems now that those days were so easy once you had the keys to unlock the mysteries of how search engines placement was attained.

In those days there were two main tools of the trade. First, a review of the volumes on searched keywords from the pioneer of pay-per-click advertising, Overture. With an intelligent structuring of these keywords, we were able to gain high placement. Next, we had bought a copy of Web Position Gold and all one had to do was point it to the site, add the keywords and press go. Simple.

In late 2005, in an attempt to fight the growing influence of spam and other techniques intended to trick Google's search model, the company implemented the Jagger update. Its intent was that of inbound link "relevancy" and other new and unresolved "canonical" issues.

This update was disastrous for some and I wrote at the time that "for weeks the returns for 'web site design bangkok' were:
- first up is Bangkok hotel and Thailand travel guide. Instead of looking at the title and on-page copy they have used the link url of the designers, Web Design Copyright ? 2005 by Asia Web Direct Co., Ltd.
- next is Asian Institute of Technology. This site is about advanced education in engineering and science. They do, not too unreasonably, have a web mail link which obviously deserves a high position to compete with the web designers here.
- remarkably, following that is Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development with the title HTTP Error 404?. This is the most ludicrous of them all as 'Le serveur Web ne parvient pas ? trouver le fichier ou le script demand?. V?rifiez l'URL pour vous assurer que le chemin d'acc?s est correct, ou bien allez' definately has a certain ring to it when searching for an English-speaking web designer in the metropolis.
- then The Peninsula Bangkok. This is one of Bangkok's premier hotels and nowhere on the home page is there even the mention of the word 'web'. The hotel does, however, have a wave-shaped 'design' and therefore should be positioned along with the city's web designers.
- and, finally, is Conference on Trade and Development. Here, they have not indexed the title of the page but have seen fit to index 'Free Website Stats and Website counter by WebSTAT'." As I say, it was disastrous.

This update had search engine marketers in a state of disorientation. With Jagger, Google had once again attempted to outsmart huge numbers in the industry who had spent a vast amount of time legitimately but falsely making their websites seem more relevant and important than they really were.

At the time we added value to our placement by swapping links and placing links on free directories but Google said it much preferred it when the linking site "adds value to enhance the value of a site's content or to increase credibility and authority". And that's exactly what Jagger was meant to do ? when it found those sites, it simply adjusted their ranking to more accurately reflect their true importance.

At the same time Google downgraded or eliminating reciprocal linking as a measure of popularity ? and I am remain amazed that I still receive daily requests for this even today. But, in short, Jagger undid the hard work of thousands of SEO professionals and, as a result, hard-won high rankings and revenues plummeted.

Also, around that time, there came to the rescue Web 2.0. This was revolutionary. We could add content, diversify keywords and get listed on a huge range of blogging and RSS directories. The web was no longer about passive reading; it was about sharing content and increasingly websites were disseminating their news via blogs and articles. I wrote at the time that "gone are the days of mailers, link exchanges and non-industry-related links, it now all about writing relevant content."

Later on it was discovered that some of the highly popular blog sites, in my case problogger.com and mattcutts.com, were a sure-fire way of getting "relevant" high PageRank inbound links. This next phase saw the marketers leaving comments on a raft of these blog sites. This worked for a time too.

The other aspect of what we were being told was to submit articles. Fine for those of us who could attempt it but for most companies, except for the larger one with their own in-house PR division, there was rarely anyone who felt qualified and most clients skipped over that option.

As Google went into overdrive in cutting out virtually all links from the directories we had once dutifully but painstakingly subscribed to, and blog comments started to insert "no follow" tags, outside of writing copy where did we go for our links?

The SEO community, mainly based and outsourced from India, put up "packages" where you could buy 100 links, 500 links, 1,000 links. The cost of this seemed exorbitant and almost nowhere did they mention the relevance or the value of these links. Some of the better companies set about on personalised campaigns but to date I have not seen any of the links they provided being indexed. The reason: they are bought.

There may be companies out there providing a legitimate service but I know of none. Every single one of them I have approached will provide linkbacks with anchor text from websites with a maximum PageRank 4, but of all the companies I know they have provided this service for, not one solitary link has been indexed by Google.

So where does this leave the industry? Yes, it's possible to look at your competitors and register them yourself, but the essence of this article is what has become of the search engine marketing companies? They are still operating; they are still out there. But what value can they now pass on to their customers where reciprocal linking is dead, forums and directories have been de-indexed, blog comments are no longer available, RSS directories moribund and link buying outlawed?

Search engine marketing is not the business it once was and I am unconvinced that the industry is now able to deliver. It would be interesting to receive counter-arguments to the foregoing because I am totally at a loss as to where to go in such a depleted system of non-available options.

I deliver every time. However I no longer do it for clients, I do my own ventures now as most will not pay what my services are worth in comparison to what you can make on your own.

But I must dispell some of the assumptions and let you know that you have been hoodwinked.

Reciprocal links still work, but are a management problem these days. You can be punished for linking to a site that is doing some dirty deeds, but as long as you only link to sites that are directly related to yours, and sites that are clean, recips still work.

Articles are wonderful tools to get top quality links because you control the content.

Directories still work some, just do not buy sponsored listings as this can get you in trouble. If you really check, Google laid the smackdown on directories that were selling "sponsored links". The sites they linked to did not get punished.

Even a nofollow tag on a blog comment does some good, the anchor counts, just no PR is passed, so you do get credit for the anchor itself.

Next is that Google only shows a small portion of links so that guys like us get discouraged by thinking Google does not index these links. You want to know what google has as far as links to a site? Take a look at yahoo backlinks indexed and you will be pretty close to the same in google.

You have drank the SEO coolaid so to speak and bought into all of the lies and excuses from the ones who want to have a reason for their failure or incompetense.

There are SEO's out there that can still dominate anything they want, but there are 5 thousand of the wannabe SEO's out there telling the ones who do it everyday that it can not be done while they are doing it.

Search marketing is not dead, you are just listening to the wrong people.

You can still make your wildest dreams come true if you will just learn to ignore the propaganda and find ways to do it.

During the time you spent writing about what you could not do, you could have written an article to build links with and get clicks from.

You will spend the same amount of time either way. If you invest the same energy finding ways to make it work as you do telling people it will not, you can retire in 3 to 5 years!

I am not trying to put down on you at all, just hoping to wake you up to the reality that you do control your life for the most part, and success is a matter of attitude 99% of the time.

Get the excitement and fire back and results will follow shortly.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Agree with Jim.

The problem isn't google or SEO. The problem is people who pretend to know seo and then write about it while just copying what the last person said.

Articles. Recips. Directories. Blog Comments. They all work. Still.

Whoa Jim, more profound info and Rob you are right.

v9designbuild and all,

If you want to know how to really do it just read all the posts by these 2 and follow what they say. They REALLY know their stuff!!!

I deliver every time. However I no longer do it for clients, I do my own ventures now as most will not pay what my services are worth in comparison to what you can make on your own.

Fair comment, but it is not easy any more to find the time for all this. I run a web agency and cannot afford the time to go searching for links, I'd go bust. That wasn't the case before. I appreciate that nofollows have merit but when I'm trying to battle against competitors, it is just taking so much time nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Jim's statements - although SEO has seemingly changed a lot in recent years, basic tactics still work.

The important thing is define your goals and find a way to achieve them.

As the old saying goes, "Where there is a will, there is a way." ;)

I agree with Jim's statements - although SEO has seemingly changed a lot in recent years, basic tactics still work.

Yes. It's just the shady tactics that have been downgraded or crippled, which really is as it should be.

I'm with you, Minstrel.

Although it might take a bit more time to build your business using fair and ethical tactics, the results are likely to stick.

I can certainly say that the "Get Rich Quick" with Google Adsense days are over - webmasters have to offer more than just a "click through" for Google churn - which is okay as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not a big player, but I do ok and scaling up just focusing on article marketing and proper keyword research. I even use Hubpages as a main landing site. To start, just read the articles Jim has posted in this forum. They're gold.

I don't mean to be rude, but I get tired of hearing seo is dead or how it's so hard to keep up with the changes the search engines make. More so tired of the "End of..." or "Death of..." titles, so over used.

As many have already mention and I've seen over the years, the same thing I've been doing SEO wise for probably 10 years, still works today. What's changed is thwarting the scammers and black hats.

Sure there are some techniques that do not work as well as they use to, it was bound to happen. Over all though, I have not been doing much different for as long as I can remember. Good SEO works just as well today.

As for messed-up updates and such, it's to be expected. Humans are on the backend of search engines, the machine only does what it's told.

Honestly, for all the traffic I've received from the search engines, and the sales that the traffic has made, I'm not going to complain one bit :) All I can say is "Thank you!".

Just my thoughts.

Complaining SEO

Hi Ron,

It's not that I'm complaining as such. I now do article writing, blogging, social bookmarking, blog commenting, etc to get links. I have also asked a couple of Indian SEO firms to provide me with links that in 4 months have not shown up on the indexes.

You may well get tired of hearing SEO is dead but my point is that, as a service, how can I write authoritatively on subjects I have no experience in. Before I could provide the links; today it's growing nigh impossible with the directories gone.

On my two main sites, I am #1/2 on all my main search terms and receive 100% of my income from these placements. What I was getting at is that it is almost impossible for me to provide SEO services to my clients - they just wouldn't wear the cost of the research one has to do these days.

So, yes, I stick to my argument that the SEO firm is dead. The links being provided by many SEO firms just don't stick.

So, yes, I stick to my argument that the SEO firm is dead. The links being provided by many SEO firms just don't stick.

I can't say that I agree with that at all. A number of SEO companies are faring quite well as many advertisers are diverting advertising budgets to the internet.

Traditional advertising venues (like newspapers) are taking a much bigger hit as
costs and past debts are catching up with them..

Sometimes you have to look a little further than your own experience/observations to make a fair judgment.

I hope that I haven't offended you, but this is just my opinion..

Hi Ron,

It's not that I'm complaining as such. I now do article writing, blogging, social bookmarking, blog commenting, etc to get links. I have also asked a couple of Indian SEO firms to provide me with links that in 4 months have not shown up on the indexes.

You may well get tired of hearing SEO is dead but my point is that, as a service, how can I write authoritatively on subjects I have no experience in. Before I could provide the links; today it's growing nigh impossible with the directories gone.

On my two main sites, I am #1/2 on all my main search terms and receive 100% of my income from these placements. What I was getting at is that it is almost impossible for me to provide SEO services to my clients - they just wouldn't wear the cost of the research one has to do these days.

Sounds more like your saying it's dead to you because your looking at SEO firms that, excuse my language, that suck! The same SEO firms that use links that are not SEO worthy in the first place, reason the ranks don't stick.

First, you don't have to use article writing, article directory links as the prime link back to prosper. On the other hand, if your not an authority on your clients subject, get the info from them, who knows their market better, least they better. I'd done quite well without the need to write tons of articles. In my opinion, you only need a few articles in the first place.

Think we also need to realize, the times are a changing. The directories that use to be used for link juice have been replaced by social networks, which I believe have more juice than the directories use to anyways.

Like I've said before, pretty much everything that worked for me years ago, still work today. The only real difference is where I get link backs.

Not jumping on you, just my thoughts :)

Not really my point

I can't say that I agree with that at all. A number of SEO companies are faring quite well as many advertisers are diverting advertising budgets to the internet. Traditional advertising venues (like newspapers) are taking a much bigger hit as costs and past debts are catching up with them...Sometimes you have to look a little further than your own experience/observations to make a fair judgment. I hope that I haven't offended you, but this is just my opinion..

That's not the point I'm making. Especially now, and you can read a number of articles on my blog that agree with the sentiment, firms are turning to the internet for advertising to rein in costs. Maybe the SEO companies are faring quite well, but from what I've seen their results are far from anywhere near good.

What I'm saying, and this applies to almost everyone I've spoken to (not just my lonely opinion) is that the time it takes to find relevant links far exceeds what the customer will pay. And why is it, for three of my clients, and with four different SEO 'experts', not one single link has been indexed in four months? I'm not saying that SEO is dead, just that the industry per se cannot now provide the service it once did.

I do not now provide any link building services to any client.

How are you measuring this?

To be honest, I wouldn't know how to build such a bad link that I would be confident it wouldn't be picked up within 4 months. I mean, that's a whole new level of bad.

That's the part that has me puzzled! Sounds like something else is going on.

On seconds thoughts, it is quite possible that it would happen if you built the links on a banned site or network of sites.

Not bad links

Great thought Rob. Gotta be something else.

They are not bad links, it's just that I am now leaning to think that its the datacenter I access that isn't showing them? I asked Rob and he found one of them on Yahoo! I can't, so maybe it's just living in Toytown that's frustrating me?

MI
Back