Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Others

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

temi

affiliate
I am sure there are other good forum software out there but in my book there is only two forum software phpBB (open source) and vBulettin . I have converted my last phpBB forum to vB, what software do you use to run your forum and why did you choose it?

I think phpBB, because this is very friendly and i have found some supports from web easily.

Like you I used to like phpBB but not any more, I consider all the time spent looking for support a complete waste of time, for vB i just need to log a support request and I get professional help withing a few hours.

I've been a big fan of phpBB for a long time,
never actually had any real experience with vBulletin.
Then came "THE CHANGE". Forum I was moderating got changed to vBulletin -- thanks Temi (I'm not being sarcastic!).
One of the best things that could happen. The Admin CP is way better, plug-ins are easily found, setup is way easier.
I couldn't care less about phpBB anymore.

Oh i like easy questions like this!
Having tried smf and changed to VB(ok Temi you were right...LOL)

Vb IS the best:D

I think vB is the most popular forum software, I have come across. Almost all the forums I know today use vB forum software, I vote for V Bulettin.

I've been a big fan of phpBB for a long time,
never actually had any real experience with vBulletin.
Then came "THE CHANGE". Forum I was moderating got changed to vBulletin

Something similar happened to me too.
I was a co-admin on a SMF Forum which later got converted to vB.

I'm a vBulletin freak !
So, vB all the way... for me.

-Shadab.

I am going to go for PHPbb (Temi knew I would ) :)

My forum runs on it and I ahve had absolutely no problems. Then again I pay a dude to handle all the modifications I want, ahve had a back end admin panel re0write, and LOTS of custom changes.

I might end up changing to phpbb3 (just released) then again I might not. I have around 420,000 posts on there and it runs like a dream!

I would say vBulletin for premium software and SMF for the free one

Can I ask why peole are not rating phpbb? There must be reasons, I assume it is because it is the most popular and as such is under constant attack of spammers maybe?

Can I ask why peole are not rating phpbb? There must be reasons, I assume it is because it is the most popular and as such is under constant attack of spammers maybe?

I can not remember now but few years ago I tried phpBB and could not find some feature I was interested in so I switched to SMF.

Also as you mentioned popular software often becomes a target for hackers and spammers. It seems that phpBB has much more security issues than others.

i think phBB is the best & It's excellent support community, beautiful templates, easy installation, and it's free. This is the best option around.

vBulletin is in my opinion the friendliest forum for users, has features that are always easy to use and navigation is fairly simple.

I also support phpBB although it is less secure, and you'll have to install lots of 3rd party extensions in order to have a decent amount of features.

You can fight a war, but not spam. Thats the main problem with GPL scripts. Somehow spammers find a way to exploit these scripts! Thats why i always go for commercial ones. I just cant fight spam.

dark.shadow forum plugin for shadowportal :D /from the free script section i mean, this is the best :) /

I use all of this forums and forum engine, all have good and bad.
Generally the biggest problem with invision, smf, phpbb... the code is too big, and too many files. Not nice, not fast, not good. And i not talk about the database...
The second negative features is the security. Lot of programmer write this scripts, so too many bugpoint.
Generally good-face in all forum, good looking templates, not bad template / skin system, good parse system, and very good administration panel.

Summ i know, anything from ipb, phpbb, freebb, smf, e107bb is good and super for choice.

For me the best is my hand code forum :) /its not on public, so dont search it/

From this list, the best for me is the smf and the ipb.

To be honest I prefer SMF to VB. Although I am currently using a VBulletin platform. I like SMF because it is a free script, the modifications for it are mostly free. The installation of mods, most anyway, does not require manual changes in the templates. It has a built-in mod installation.

Vanilla Open Source

phpbb is probably all time best for me... but recently Vanilla forum has cought my eye... its just different... i never liked the dull boring luks of forums... if u try to make them luk gud then u lose at speed..

vanilla is gudluking and new... also i like the way it shows all latest happening on new page with option to create pages in navigational links... it gives the forum the luks of a typical website..
i wonder why ppl aint aware of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
banners
Back