The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Single vs. Reccurring Affiliate Programs

johnkr

Hi Everyone,

Basically affiliate marketing is a means of earning income either through a one time commission or recurring income be it through a monthly subscription of a product (ex. diet pills) or subscription to a monthly newsletter on say Forex or purchasing software with recurring monthly updates like anti-virus software. Affiliate marketing is a relationship where the affiliate creates traffic for the web site of the merchant.

Most programs offer a single commission for leads or sales brought to the merchant?s web site. Commission vary from 5% - 75%. There are lead affiliate programs that offer fixed amounts for each click through an affiliate sends to the merchant?s site. This commission is low, but no purchase is necessary for the affiliate to get a commission. Instead a person fills out a form and is considered a lead. This us usually done through CPA networks such as CPAempire,Azoogleleads,Modernclick and many others . Do a search on Google for "CPA Networks" in quotes and see for yourself how many come up. Sometimes the forms are no more than a name and email address.

Another program is an affiliate program offering recurring income to the affiliate. The recurring income usually ranges from 5% to 50% of all sales generated by the affiliate. We can see the advantage of this type of income but not many people consider this option, especially when they first start out in affiliate marketing. I was guilty of this myself when I started out.

On occasion a single high paying commission affiliate program will pay you more up front than the recurring income program. However, you only received a single payment when the sale is finished and you have to keep advertising to generate additional income. Also as an affiliate you do not get the contact information of the person you sold to, so you have no back end option to create additional income from that same lead who already purchased from you. A method super affiliates use is to build landing pages where a person gives there name and email address, usually in exchange for a free report or software related to that nitche or something else the person would find of value before being forwarded to the merchant's sales page. This can be done for any nitche.

In the case of a residual income affiliate program, you are paid continual basis for that single sale. So this basically for the same amount of effort, you are paid multiple times for the one time effort.

An example you have two online merchants offering a choice between both these affiliate programs. One merchant offers a software program targeting internet marketers with the single commission program paying $200 on each sale. The second merchant providing say internet hosting pays $10 for every sale. The affiliate usually jumps at the offer the first merchant offers as $200 is much more than $10. However, if you think deeply, you will find that it is the second internet hosting merchant that offers a more stable income for you every single month and possibly for years as an internet marketer will need hosting for as long as they are marketing. In both cases using landing pages for back end sales can be used.

All marketing campaign's you do are the same, whether for a single commission or a monthly recurring commission. The effects are all the same. The great part about recurring commission is once you have secured your relationship with satisfied customers, it will turn into passive income and as long as your customer's pay for your merchant's services every month, you can continue to get paid for months or years to come.

So I hope you agree that residual affiliate programs are indeed worth promoting as although the income you get is smaller up front, it pays better in the long run. Although it cannot be said that a recurring income affiliate program's are always better for you, you should never ignore such programs.

Hope this gave you food for thought or should I say food for income :).

I look forward to your thoughts on this subject.

John Kranick

Reccuring usually do pay less and depend on the person staying in the program, or getting new sign-ups.

Single programs depend on new people buying the product or signing up, but they pay more.

At first, it would appear that you could make more money off the single, however, if you can find a good program with a high attrition rate you will do very well with reccurring programs.

Sierra :)

Hi John

I totally agree these programs are often overlooked
- I was guilty in the past myself.

Recurring payments are key to growing your ROI otherwise with one-off payment your just left with little opportunity for growth.

Its important to add that the most successfull recurring programs are the ones that offer subscriptions (usually monthly) to customers.
These commissions will then naturally repeat the following month/s unless the customer of course chooses to cancel.

I heard many people refer to programs which only have long 'cookie' periods as recurring programs.
The difference is these are not as profitable as you are relying on the customers to come back and buy again.
The beauty of the subcription method is you need only 1 sale to produce multiple commissions.

Of course naturally you ROI also grows month on month

The down side is like you said not many mechants offer this type of program.

Would be interested to know if anyone can find any more that do.

Best wishes

banners
Back