The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Review time frame for a directory editor

rakib

affiliate
I submitted regularly my all sites to almost all directories especially when it launch new. Sometime I found many directories do not approve timely. Some times, they do not complete their review for a year long. Is this not unethical & unprofessional?

What is your suggestion about the time frame for reviewing a site maximum?

What is your experience in this regards?

I take it you are talking about free directory because all paid directory usually appove website within 24-48 hours.
For free directory, this depends. New directories re eager to attract new sites so they approve quickly, I have about ten free directories must of them also have paid option, I don't approve free inclusion till there is a paid inclusion as well so when I go to approve the paid inclsuion I also approve the free one.

There is this proverb that says if you pay peanut you get a monkey, in this case, if you do not pay anything at all you can hardly complain about inclusion approval time, I think the directory owner is doing you a favour by approving your site in the first place.

Deeply linked gets about 50-100 submissions per day, never less than 30. It is a free directory, people do not pay, we do not insist on a backlink, ALL weask is that people follow the submission guidelines and have up to FIVE pages in our index. People don't follow the guidelines, then send me disgusting emails when I reject their site.

Currently I have a 3 week backlog to catch up on. To beat this I am currently dealing with each current days submission, and the submissions for the oldest day which is currently 21 days behind.

It is taking me about 90 minutes a day. do the maths and work out how much it is costing me to have a free resource for other people. ;)

If you paid complain. If you didn't pay, then I am sure you will be entitled to a full refund :D

If you paid complain. If you didn't pay, then I am sure you will be entitled to a full refund :D

Exactly my point OWG, you can have your full refund :) I find it annoying when people are nagging me to approve their site quickly at a free web directory when I have already indicated that I will approve it when I have the time of feel like it, I usually just delete nagging people's website.

Rakib, nowadays I got an email that my submission was rejected. That site was suggested in August 2006. I think this attitude is ridiculous, even if it's a free directory.
I also maintain a free niche directory, but I check the suggested sites more times every single day, though I usually don't receive more than 5 submission daily.

Bagi,
You do not depend on your directory to pay your rent and bills, you have a day job that pay your bill, you directory is only a hobby. For someone who live off his online activity, you cannot afford to spend all your time wadding though mostly RUBBISH worthless free submissions. At wura.co.uk which seem to be the most popular of my free directories, I get hundreds and hundreds of free site 98% rubbish and spam from people like lemmiFind.... but to get to the 2% good site I have to look through the lemmefinds....

So do you think I should leave my job and keep looking through spams? if you really want you site added, there is the paid option which is approved with 48 hours. I just want you to think about things from this view point as well

Temi,
I didn't think and wrote that you should keep looking through spams, but I don't think that my sites would be spams.
You are right I don't depend on my directory recently, but i'm going to depend on my online earnings in some months or a year so i belive that the quality which i represent can determine my future. I'm sorry if my personal opinion was offensive I didn't want to offend you, since I appreciate you Temi.

Bagi,
This is a debate, you have not offended me :) . I know your site is now a spam but the way the directory software is arranged all the sites are queue for approval, you have very good sites like directoryofSEOlinks, submitted today for example, you have many lemmyfind submitted yesterday befor DirectoryOfSEOLink and many Lemmy find submitted after Directoryof SEO.

Because I know you personally, I will think, hey that is Bagi's site he is now a spammer and I will approve it. But if I do not know you, I have to look at all the lemmyfinds etc till I get to your site and then check your site and then approve it.

And sometime when I look at an approval page of about 30 site, I an see that about 28 of them is spamm, I do not bother to spend about 15 minutes looking for the 2 good one, I just delete all of them, so sometime good sites are deleted :(

Temi, in my first post I wanted to refer that those site would have not to send me notification email after almost a year that my site was rejected. Reject my site that won't struck me, but I don't think sending rejection email after those length of time would be a great brand building movement.

Completely agree with you, I get emails like that for both approval and rejection when I have completely forgottend that I submitted to that directory.
As you know there are lots of different directory owners.......... there are professional, there are thos kiddies who just got a free web space and free script to play about with so quality vary.

I think there is a directory called Galaxy or something like that, I am now 100% accurate but their inclusion policy goes like this:

$30 apprival withing 24 hours
$20 approval within 1 week
etc
etc

I choose $1 which was about 6 months partly out of joke... and indeed about 6 months later I get and accepance email :) it was funny

I approve reciprocal links within 72 hours and paid within 24.

I have lots of free listing waiting for approval. But I have made clear on the submission form that free submissions could be approved within 1 month. I normally approved within a week or two though.

I approve free submissions daily but a little at a time.

If a member from a forum submits I normally approve straight away

Visitors must remember that they are submitting for free. If they submit a reciprocal or paid then it is different.

A paid and Reciprocal link will benefit both the Webmaster and the visitor. The free submission may only benefit the visitor but will benefit the webmaster if the visitor passes the url onto others.

If some one has started a directory , he has some visition with this. Very unlikely it will be a charity project. Those you see are not reviewing for a long , think they are project of some ones who started them without having nothing to do and whitout knowledege about it. Now losing intersted he is doing other things

Not the case with me at all. I started deeplylinked as I wanted to change the face of directories. I knew that if someone hi profile started a deep link directory then otherrs would follow.

We slapped adsense on there but it is not my adsense , we do not benefit from it at all it is there as an experiment.

Not the case with me at all. I started deeplylinked as I wanted to change the face of directories. I knew that if someone hi profile started a deep link directory then otherrs would follow.

We slapped adsense on there but it is not my adsense , we do not benefit from it at all it is there as an experiment.

Thats what i wanted to mean - a specific mission. the mission is not neccesarily financial. You wanted to experiement or research project. Thats why you are still using your valuble time every day -90 mins :)

The adsense on the directory was just out of curiosity. The aim of introducing Deeply linked was to make a statement that deep linking is good, and not the spawn of the devil as most directory owners have you believe, and to get others doing the same. It worked at that, although some still dig their heels in and stick with homepages only.

Personally a site that links only to homepages is over time going to suffer a lot as the algo's are refined.

MI
Back