The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Reduce Spam registrations

gkd_uk

Hi

I came across this phpbb hack yesterday which disables the website and signature field when a new member registers at a phpbb forum.

These fields do not become available until the member activates their registration.

I'm sure most phpbb forum owners may have this implemented but for those who don't it is a great hack.

I have already applied this and it is working fine. You can quickly and easily apply this hack as only two files require editing.

phpbbhacks.com/download/6568

There are now some really good hacks to reduce spam on phpbb forums. :)

But I still think vbulletin is a better forum

The other forums are not bad either, the only thing is that they lack a central place or company than can help you, unlike VB. For example, the double post and all the other problem we have been having here, my webmaster could not fix it. I logged a request with vB Support and they actually sent a technician that logged into this forum and help us at no extra charge other than having a vB license.... I am very impressed by that.

I have this and a custom mod that has stopped all but manual spam, I have gone from about 100 plus per day to one or two a week :D

Another good hack is to add the spam question as I have here

The question changes everytime the page is refreshed. e.g. spell spam backwards, say hello.

That made me abandon one phpBB forum I had about a year ago. With this, I might try it again. Btw, do you recommend any free forum script besides phpBB?

Hi I run a phpBB2 forum and we were hammered by spam registrations so I took the step of installing the stop.spambot mod on my forum and it's gone from 40-50 per week to 1 -2 and that's a big drop, just as well cos I was getting ready to ditch the forums before I found that Mod..

banners
Back