-NOT very expensive;
-Unix\Linux\FreeBSD;
-PHP/MySQL;
-Cron support;
-Protected directories;
-Web-mail;
-Cheap traffic;
-Good customer support, of course.

Reason? My site was down too often and the number of visitors was too unpredictable. It jumped from 400 to 60 within one week. I ordered a profound examination of my web-site at http://www.dotcom-monitor.com (website and network monitoring company). In their report the following reasons were mentioned:
-"Slow Website Response"
-"Slow Web Page Response"
-"Varying Website Response from Different Geographical Locations"

I'm sure it is Extcom's (my current provider) fault, but communication with the Customer Support brings only promises and excuses. This persuades me that it's high time to move my site to a completely different place.

:(

Your advice? I have two companies in view but ALL your recommendations are welcomed :)

dear dotcom you should specify what kind of hosting you need ;) shared or VPS? If you need "not expensive" there is hostgool for $0.82 but if reliable it is rackspace.

Research

here is a lot of information about Hosting companies on the web. I would take a look at a place like Netcraft. It is a third party company that is completely independent from any web hosting company. They will give you the information you are looking for. They check to see how reliable the Web Hosting Company is and share the actual number so you know what to expect. Hope this helps.

Adam

Actually, a company which has a good Customer Support is the most important for you. So you can trust them. Active people are better to solve problems, anyway.

MI
Back