The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

People still fall for phishing :(

temi

affiliate
I received and interesting email yesterday, the long and short of it is that the person who contacted me has fallen for a phishing, I am quite surprised that some people still fall for phishing email especially PayPal related one.

Have you ever fallen for phishing?

Scammers are trying new and different ways to fool people, that's way I think those phishing methods will always have victims. They send emails from "personal bank", emails for giving money in advance for a car, SMS for sending money through telephone because "you win a prize from Orange" etc.
Once I was close to become a victim myself, when I've received an email from "my bank" asking me my personal account details to protect me from scammers, but when I saw the adress from where that email came I realised that it's just a hoax.
I was little and negligent, but I didn't fall for that.

I'll be honest, sometimes even the best of us get something hit at them at the wrong time. I remember when I first signed up to ebay and paypal, I got an e-mail saying my account needed activating. Sure enough I toddled along, to the website blissfully unaware, and was this close to signing up before common sense hits in.

I never would've fallen for it otherwise, except for the fact I'd just signed up to paypal, it threw me immensely.

The best thing to do is to download something like firefox with anti-phishing protection. It's good (some may argue too good, I remember when paypal had a christmas promotion and they registered something like "paypalchristmas.co.uk", for a while "this site is a scam!" messages flagged up.

easy not to get done by ebay/paypal... in the email just hover over the links while doing that look in the bottom left of your internet browser if you see a url other than ebay/paypal showing just delete the email. thats what i do anyway.

I can`t say I`ve ever fallen for phishing, but you`ve always got to stay alert. The best ones are where a bank contacts you to ask you to visit its site to update your details for security purposes. The giveaway is where usually that particular bank isn`t one I even use. Stoopid or what?? lol

I realise of course that they know that if they send thousands out some will hit the mark, and they only need a few who they can rip off to make it all worthwhile.

The scams are getting regularly updated and sophisticated as such there are bound to be - if only 1 out of a thousand- some who will fall victim of it. Especially those who do things on "auto pilot" :(
Temi I hope your contacts where able to stem the problem before they were taken to the cleaners.

One of the many I seem to receive most weeks-

The good thing is that my email provider placed this in the Spam folder, AND with this warning, though I`d NEVER click on a link like this sent through email-

Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal information. Learn more

The message came from a bank I`m not even with, and never have been-

Dear HSBC bank customer,

We would like to inform you that we are currently carrying out scheduled maintenance.
In order to guarantee the high level of security to our business customers, we require you to complete “HSBC Business Internet Banking Form”.
Please complete HSBC BIB Form using the link below:

HSBC BIB Form

How much I detest these creeps! :nono:

people still fall for those stupid msn virus's too!

MI
Back