Certified

williamrs

Certified Vendor
Service Manager
Coach
CPA Evolution 3.0
PART 10

Initial test

This short chapter is just to explain to you how to proceed in the initial so that you don't make precipitated decisions.

Never expect a campaign to be profitable right away or you will be frustrated and will quit too soon.

Pretty much all the campaigns start with a negative (sometimes very negative) ROI, so the goal of the initial test is just to collect some data for the optimization process.

So, the very first thing you have to do is to spend something like $15 - $25 on the campaign to collect data and see what happens.

The initial data will allow you to find your metrics (check out part 7 again if you don't remember this) and determine what is doing well and what is doing bad.

Avoid using thumb rules at this point, things like "spend 2x the payout of the offer and quit if you don't get a conversion" don't apply here.

Basically, you will have 4 elements to adjust during the optimization: targeting, ads, landing page and offer.

Getting a conversion or 2 during the initial test can be a good sign, but it's not required for the campaign to have potential and it's not a guarantee that the campaign will be profitable either.

There is also a very good chance that the initial CPC will be high, but it's because most of the ads will have a bad performance. As soon as you start removing the bad ads and keep just the winning ones the CTR will get lower.

Here are the initial stats I got with my campaign for The Settlers Online:

Total clicks: 42

Ad spend: $19.82

Average ads CTR (right column ads only): 0.07% (3 ads above 0.1%)

Landing page CTR: 35.7%

Conversions: 4

Real EPC: $0.17

ROI: -65%

As you can see, the campaign started with a negative ROI and I lost $12+ in my initial test. Many people would get desperate/frustrated at this point and would already move on. Wrong!

I was very excited with the initial numbers! I had ads with a decent CTR, my lander had a decent CTR and I got conversions, so I was almost sure that I could turn a positive ROI with that one.

In the next chapter I'll show you how I started the optimization process based on the metrics above.

Contents

Part 1/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 2/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 3/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 4/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 5/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 6/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 7/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 8/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 9/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 10/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 11/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 12/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 13/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 14/14 Facebook Case Study.

CPAEvolution: Make sure you check out the relaunch of CPAEvolution and the amazing AffiliateFix only bonus's.

Last edited by a moderator:
PART 10

Initial test

This short chapter is just to explain to you how to proceed in the initial so that you don't make precipitated decisions.

Never expect a campaign to be profitable right away or you will be frustrated and will quit too soon.

Pretty much all the campaigns start with a negative (sometimes very negative) ROI, so the goal of the initial test is just to collect some data for the optimization process.

So, the very first thing you have to do is to spend something like $15 - $25 on the campaign to collect data and see what happens.

The initial data will allow you to find your metrics (check out part 7 again if you don't remember this) and determine what is doing well and what is doing bad.

Avoid using thumb rules at this point, things like "spend 2x the payout of the offer and quit if you don't get a conversion" don't apply here.

Basically, you will have 4 elements to adjust during the optimization: targeting, ads, landing page and offer.

Getting a conversion or 2 during the initial test can be a good sign, but it's not required for the campaign to have potential and it's not a guarantee that the campaign will be profitable either.

There is also a very good chance that the initial CPC will be high, but it's because most of the ads will have a bad performance. As soon as you start removing the bad ads and keep just the winning ones the CTR will get lower.

Here are the initial stats I got with my campaign for The Settlers Online:

Total clicks: 42

Ad spend: $19.82

Average ads CTR (right column ads only): 0.07% (3 ads above 0.1%)

Landing page CTR: 35.7%

Conversions: 4

Real EPC: $0.17

ROI: -65%

As you can see, the campaign started with a negative ROI and I lost $12+ in my initial test. Many people would get desperate/frustrated at this point and would already move on. Wrong!

I was very excited with the initial numbers! I had ads with a decent CTR, my lander had a decent CTR and I got conversions, so I was almost sure that I could turn a positive ROI with that one.

In the next chapter I'll show you how I started the optimization process based on the metrics above.

Contents

Part 1/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 2/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 3/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 4/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 5/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 6/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 7/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 8/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 9/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 10/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 11/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 12/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 13/14 Facebook Case Study.
Part 14/14 Facebook Case Study.

CPAEvolution: Make sure you check out the relaunch of CPAEvolution and the amazing AffiliateFix only bonus's.

the biggest problem I had is to learn when to stop the campaign.
Like I understand that it would start negative roi but when do I stop? if it continues into negative roi.
How do you determine what is wrong if you decided something isn't going right?
Like what metrics do you see that means you need to change lp?
What metrics do you see that means your headline subheadlines isn't converting?
What metric do you see that means your images is trash?

banners
Back