The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Page Title Length

azseoguy

affiliate
I have conflicting info about how long a page title can be before it is truncated on a SERP. To my understanding I thought it was 70 characters, but recently I have heard that it is 65?

My guess is the more words in the title in total the less weight each word is given.

I am not sure that is true...its not like there is weight limit and the more words you have, the more it has to share. The same weight is applied to a keyword whether it is by itself or part of a sentence. Weight is only applied to the keyword(s) from the search query, all other words are just filler.

(correct me if I am wrong :D)

HI,

There is certainly an easy way to find out now isn't there.

Instructions:

1. Do a search in Google
2. Count how many characters Google indexes

Jeff

I am not sure that is true...its not like there is weight limit and the more words you have, the more it has to share. The same weight is applied to a keyword whether it is by itself or part of a sentence. Weight is only applied to the keyword(s) from the search query, all other words are just filler.

(correct me if I am wrong :D)

But experimentation shows that words at the beginning of a page title are given more importance than words that appear at the end of a page title, particularly if the title is long.

But experimentation shows that words at the beginning of a page title are given more importance than words that appear at the end of a page title, particularly if the title is long.

Yeah I totally agree, but that brings me back to my original question :) Best idea is to have your most important words at the first half of the title (within the character limit)

I have also heard that it best not to start your title with a keyword but instead a modifier.

Example:

Muscle Car Tuning for all Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, and Oldsmobile (no modifier)
Affordable Muscle Car Tuning for all Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, and Oldsmobile (modifier)

HI,

There is certainly an easy way to find out now isn't there.

Instructions:

1. Do a search in Google
2. Count how many characters Google indexes

Jeff

It's not as cut-n-dry as you may think though. Try this out:

Search query: muscle car tuning (Google)

Page 1:
Truncates a title at 61 characters

Page 2:
Truncates a title at 66 characters, and a has a full listed title at 68 characters

Not too much consistency there?

I always think that 60 is good enough to be safe

For me I refer using 60 to 65 characters. Because if it is too short your kws seems spammy to look but if it is like long phrases it will look okay and limit your character to 60 because the SEs will just cut the other characters.

i think as long as 150 chars? i'm not sure but i think a long tail keyword title is a great for keyword ranking :D

They do that to throw people off so you don't enter this debate of how many keywords can I stuff my page title with. The best thing you can do is make your title RELEVANT to what the page is about. Make it something direct and useful and that people will want to click on. If you need an example look at newspaper article titles. Or Google's own page article titles.

It depends upon the natural demand of the site. If that particular page demands for 100 charanters then there is nothing to worry about. SEs prefer natural things.

See this-
site is jklakshmi.com; it's about cement.
Title- Cement Industry, Cement Manufacturers, Cement Suppliers Factory India JK Lakshmi Cement

Keywords we are ranking on- Cement Industry, Cement Industry India, Cement Manufacturers, Cement Manufacturers India, Cement in India, Cement Suppliers, Cement Suppliers India...

What you will say this???

Site- netprophetsglobal.com; it's about application development
Title- Application Development Custom Application Development and Maintenance Company India

Keywords we are ranking on- Application Development, Application Development India, Application Development Company, Custom Application Development

MI
Back