The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Page Rank Question

AngelJill

affiliate
Our home page currently has a pr of 3 which has filtered through to all of the pages that we're originally part of our website. About 4/5 months ago we added some new pages to our site and the pr for these is still 0? Anyone know why? Our site is angelgiftcompany

Thanks for your help

Hello AngelJill,
This has to do with your link structure, do you have links pointing to your new pages from your homepage and other important pages?

Hello AngelJill,
This has to do with your link structure, do you have links pointing to your new pages from your homepage and other important pages?

Hi there ...you'll have to excuse my ignorance on this one but I am asking on behalf of my husband who wrote the site for me ...we are both learning together. There is a link to one of the pages from my homepage but it displays as <a href="keepsakes.aspx" ...does this matter or does it need to be the full url?

there are two ways to create internal links, one is the way you have done it and the second is to use full url. The way you have implemented your link structure is my preferred, its more efficient than full url. However, that could not be the reason your new pages do not have PR, it could be down to other factors such as quality of contents on the new pages, how unique the pages are etc

Dont worry about it at all it is just bad timing of launching the pages. They DO have pagerank it is just not being shown in the toolbar yet. Google is spidering your pages as the keepsake page was cached 25 april, so no problems there.

HOWEVER you have a MASSIVE problem with regard the site in general in as much as your main header navigation is up the swannee. Some of your pages are in the Supplemental index, and if you don't sort out the navigation many more will go there.

I looked at the SI pages and the first one 'angel smiles' page is cached ok, but when you try to get to your index page by clicking the home button, you are taken elswhere, on other pages the 'home' button takes you to the view shopping cart page.

This might well be why your new pages have no PR because there is absolutely no discernable internal linking structure. It should be a simple fix though so no need to panic.

I am using firefox browser By the way. When I check in Internet Explorer it is fine. The question is, what is Google seeing?

NB. Google wsitched from the old pure text based spider to a mozilla based spider a while back ;)

Dont worry about it at all it is just bad timing of launching the pages. They DO have pagerank it is just not being shown in the toolbar yet. Google is spidering your pages as the keepsake page was cached 25 april, so no problems there.

HOWEVER you have a MASSIVE problem with regard the site in general in as much as your main header navigation is up the swannee. Some of your pages are in the Supplemental index, and if you don't sort out the navigation many more will go there.

I looked at the SI pages and the first one 'angel smiles' page is cached ok, but when you try to get to your index page by clicking the home button, you are taken elswhere, on other pages the 'home' button takes you to the view shopping cart page.

This might well be why your new pages have no PR because there is absolutely no discernable internal linking structure. It should be a simple fix though so no need to panic.

I am using firefox browser By the way. When I check in Internet Explorer it is fine. The question is, what is Google seeing?

NB. Google wsitched from the old pure text based spider to a mozilla based spider a while back ;)

Thankyou so much for pointing out the firefox problems. I have mentioned it to my husband (who wrote the site in his spare time!) & he knows what the problem now is & is going to fix it - will let you know how we get on.

Thanks again

The instant google moved from a text based spider to one based on Mozilla, it became crucial to test the site in firefox. Most designers however ignore firefox as they say that not many people use it. If NO-ONE used it other than google then it is crucial, given that googlebot by default accounts for 80%+ of the traffic in the uk.

I don't really design any longer, but I would reccommend designing for firefox as any IE problems will be well documented online and therefore easier to fix.

By the way, I forgot to welcome you :( Welcome to UKWM, stick around as we have some decent people on here and it will help you with regard that 'all alone' feeling.

AS an aside, I had a client who sold baby gifts. Sadly because of family issues and the runaway success of their other business, they closed the shop in August last year. They have slipped from the first page, but are still on page 2 of google for the phrase baby gifts :)

I have to say that it was a fairly difficult area to work in, but once you get there it is great.

banners
Back