The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Page Rank Link Juice Question

genuwine4532

affiliate
Okay, I have a question, if I exchange links with a site that's home page is a PR5 but the page where my link is placed is a lower rank, like PR0 or PR1 then the link juice is gaged on the lower page rank where my link is, correct? I mean that is not a link from a PR5 page or is there still some juice from the home page rank eventhough my site is on a lower rank page within the site?

Make sense?

Yes that is correct and depending on how they have their website setup the homepage might not be bleeding PR into the internal pages. Some people put "no follow" tags so the PR does not get directed to pages that are not that important or should not be indexed.

So basically, the "links" pages for recips on top of being less respected and juiced by Google overall, can also be completely ignored by Google as well?

I have been building links and trying to get my partners to do within content hyperlinks or home page swaps as these are much better than the links page, but not all webmasters understand the benefits and just want to keep adding to links pages.

...homepage might not be bleeding PR into the internal pages...or pages directed to be not indexed...

Is there a way to tell if the site is doing this?

Thanks

So basically, the "links" pages for recips on top of being less respected and juiced by Google overall, can also be completely ignored by Google as well?

I have been building links and trying to get my partners to do within content hyperlinks or home page swaps as these are much better than the links page, but not all webmasters understand the benefits and just want to keep adding to links pages.

A reciprocal links page is kind of useless in my opinion, all reciprocal links with such a system will be pointed to one page that only has links to the pages it gets incoming links from.

It's unnatural and goes against what Google likes to see to rank sites/pages well.

The point is to obtain links to your inner relevant pages from other relevant pages with a nice descriptive anchor text, preferably the keyword you want to rank for, but keep in mind to use variations of your anchor link.

If you want your page about Basketball techniques to be found on Google when someone searches for Basketball techniques then use that as your anchor keyword combined with variations like Basketball ball handling techniques - techniques to play basketball, etc.

Mix those variations when your asking for backlinks or or placing backlinks of your own.

If a webmaster only wants to do a reciprocal link from one of their link pages then forget about it, unless it's a real authoritive site.

Is there a way to tell if the site is doing this?

Thanks

Install the search status plugin for Firefox.
You can enable the option to highlight the nofollow links on a page, when you land on a page it will color all the nofollow links in pink.

You can also right click a link and choose "properties" - if it's a nofollow link it will be indicated i nthe small window that will appear.

The plugin is great because it displays it automatically.

Thanks Edwin,

but I know about the toolbar I actually use SEO for firefox and it highlights no-follows in red, what I meant was if there was a way to tell, if a site is not bleeding its home page PR to certain pages like the links page.

Yes I agree that links pages suck, I try to get the within content hyperlinks as much as possible, but unfortunately many webmasters just don't get it.

Thanks Edwin,

but I know about the toolbar I actually use SEO for firefox and it highlights no-follows in red, what I meant was if there was a way to tell, if a site is not bleeding its home page PR to certain pages like the links page.

Gotcha, when you have a regular link from the home page to your links page and it doesn't have a nofollow attribute it will bleed page rank to the links page.
If it has a nofollow it prevents pagerank from being passed on to that page through that particular link.

Yes I agree that links pages suck, I try to get the within content hyperlinks as much as possible, but unfortunately many webmasters just don't get it.

Yeah, i see your point, i wouldn't waste to much time with people like that.

Those links pages have turned into a nightmare. I have some that date back years and don't want to break the link exchange, but also don't want to harm my ranking so I added the "no follow" tag, too. I am hoping to slowly weed those pages out. It was a pain doing that anyway! ;)

Gotcha, when you have a regular link from the home page to your links page and it doesn't have a nofollow attribute it will bleed page rank to the links page. If it has a nofollow it prevents pagerank from being passed on to that page through that particular link.

OHHH!!! of course, DUH, that makes total sense, now I will check for that just in case. Thanks Edwin!

I will tell you that some of the greatest proof that links pages suck is the often huge difference in PR from home page to links page.

For example, I got a recip request from a PR5 site, most of his pages were PR5 some were PR3 and 4, but only the links pages was a PR1.. This cannot be coincidence.

This quote is something I heard from Aaron Wall (SEOBook) the other day- "Key is to make links look like side effects and not the end goal."

This pretty much sums it all up!

MI
Back