The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

p202 a paid services possible?

java

I saw this post interesting and would want to hear others opinion on p202 moved to closed source.

it was built on open source..

Even on their site Prosper202 Self Hosted Apps

They still have the text (footer)

Creative Commons License This work (Prosper202, Tracking202 and Export202) is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
All the download links lead to pay options, though.

As the license is CC.. should we just share it high and wide?

Input please.

I understand that, but read this.

thing is they moved it to closed source.

Open source normally is supposed to stay open source (and it is a viral license, so if there is an open source component in your software, your software has to become open soruce, too)

YOu can charge for a SERVICE (like server setup, maintenance, support,...) around the open source software, but you'll still have to keep the base open source.

This is nothing but a dick move.. and it might be an illegal one... although one would have to go through their code to find if they are using other open source software components in it)

Funnily enough, nothing but a full rewrite will allow them to move to closed... so they might have fucked themselves with version 1.8 ... as 1.7 is open source.

So If I can't download the source, then I can't access the source.

Open Source is not "you get the source if you pay"

Last edited:
So If I can't download the source, then I can't access the source.

Open Source is not "you get the source if you pay"

I agree 100%. However, there may be a disclaimer with an exit clause. I'll take a look. Either way, they should not use the same Brand name for the new closed source version. It's just going to build bad feelings among the users. Maybe he just doesn't truly understand this. I know he officially dropped support for the previous versions sometime earlier this year. I wondered about this when it happened and thought it may have been a preemptive move for something.

Quite interesting to hear what others have to say about this as well.

Me and some friends haven't used prosper202 ever since they sold the business to Bloosky.

There are different open source licenses. Not all comply to the GPL. Many open source licences still keep all the rights to the owner and if anyone wants to take the code and add changes and make it closed source, it's perfectly allowed with them. In the GPL licence this would not be possible as Richard Stallman is very strict there. But with many other licenses it's no problem to make things like they did with p202 now. I didn't read through the license now.

But another problem with these licenses is that the owner has the right to change the license at any time. As he is the creator of it. Many companies already took advantage of this. The open source "business" is a hard business, too.

Quite interesting to hear what others have to say about this as well.

Me and some friends haven't used prosper202 ever since they sold the business to Bloosky.

Tracking202/Prosper202 was bought back from Bloosky many years ago

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of discussion about this on a handful of forums.

To make things clear.

Version 1.8.0 is NOT encrypted in anyway.

You can read and edit every bit of the code, it's all in plain text. I haven't made a huge effort to "lock or protect the source" in anyway. I'm sure eventually, someone is going to post it on some blackhat forum (I've already seen the requests), but, call me crazy but I'm trusting the majority of the 202 community will still pay to support us and ensure that we can keep on producing quality software you can use to run and grow your affiliate businesses.

Note: You will now need an API key to activate the software, but that's actually the first step in some powerful new features that are coming up over the next few releases. I can't talk too much about this, but I can't wait to get this in your hands.

I've priced Prosper202 1.8.0 fair and low enough that most of you can pay for it with 1% or way less of your monthly affiliate profits. If you can't afford it at the current price 1.7.2 is still free and avail for download.

Food for thought: There are at least 70,000 to 100,000+ users of Prosper202. But in 2013 for example, we only got $xxx or less TOTAL in donations. The amount doesn't even cover yearly hosting expenses for the server where the Prosper202 files are hosted for download. (Actual amount masked to protect the guilty) :)

Considering that affiliates use Prosper202 to make multiple millions every year, that number is pretty weak and shameful to say the least.

So now, to ensure growth and constant improvements and features, we're charging for the software, upgrades and support. Trust me, It's for your own good :)

But at the end of the day, you (the people who depend on Prosper202 everyday to make a living) have to realize that for $39 a month you get access to constantly updated and improving software that helps you to make money and save time every single day.

For only $39 a month you are ensuring that every shortcoming of Prosper202 is getting fixed and improved upon, all of this without having to hire and manage a development team of your own.

banners
Back