The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

One main site - multiple affiliate pages

jd159

affiliate
I've done alot of reading into affiliate marketing and am really interested. I understand the concept of choosing a one niche on one domain and marketing that. But what if you just had one domain with pages that had content relevant and optimized to a specific niche? Could you have many different products and still come up decent on Google searches?

Kinda like: ...yourdomain/niche1/....yourdomain/niche2/..

If all of your content was SEO could you do this instead of separate domains?

If this is a completeyy crazy idea just let me know lol, i'm just throwing out some idea's for myself and would like some more experienced opinions:)

Yes you could have different products, different topics and different sub niches but best if they all revolve around a common niche or theme.

So a health site with all different health topics and products and articles about different health sub-niches would be fine.

However a site about golf, dogs, luggage and diabetes, totally unrelated topics, not a very good idea.

If your niche is "south american travel" then you are obviously going to be able to compete in many travel niches - hotels, luggage, tours, insurance, flights, photography etc etc etc

If you register a "topic neutral main domain" then sub-domains would be the answer maybe a directory as your main domain then you can list & link back to your sub-domains

i would definitely go for seperate domains for seperate niches ...

a keyworded domain will always do much better than a general domain, all other things being equal

You specifically named "SEO" as far as the pages are concerned, Linda and Rob were spot on. I will explian why in a much detail as time and space will allow.

It is better to have a domain with your most general keywords in it at the least, this does help, but to have a general domain and then just go into several different areas is not a good idea because of internal link structures within the site and other aspects of the offpage work.

Lets take Robs idea as an example "south american travel". If you get the keywords in the domain you have a good start and now lets look at setting up the structure for max results with seo.

Relevance: using these examples as catagories :hotels, luggage, tours, insurance, flights, photography. your first catagory could be "south american travel hotels" , now, if you can work that into the homepage content and link it as written within the content to that page, you just gained a good and quality internal link, even if it is in the navagation it is still a good link because at least one of the keywords is in the title and/or content of the recipicating pages, and this is a major plus.

Doing this makes your navigation on topic and the links carry a lot more weight and you are also keeping the visitor fixed on the same subject, maybe a different aspect of the travel, but still the same subject, so it remains in the topic they were looking for anyway. This is the basis of staying on topic.

Let me ask you a question, If you were looking for "roller blades" and there was information on high def tv's on the same page as a link to another page, or even mentioned in a lower body link in content, you just gave a potential sale away just because you gave them a chance to get distracted looking at something that they were not looking for in the first place. They came into the site looking for roller blades and now have hdtv info or links in front of them, not very bright if you ask me.

In the past, when I would get a call from a client claiming that their sales dropped off, I could look at their bounce rate history and generally locate the problem immediately. If they went from a 30% bounce rate to 50 plus in a short time, it was usually because they had added a "distraction" to the page/pages in question that was off topic.

The whole point is that if you chose to go in different directions instead of staying focused on a certain theme, you will have few conversions, if any.

If they came into the site based on roller blades, keep the page entirely about roller blades. that could be the wheels, boots, bearing, safety equipment, but all directly related to the roller blades they came looking for.

The next part is the linking you will need to do, If you write an article about roller bladeing, you can likely use it for the main roller blade page or home page and just about any other internal page for the second or 3rd link in the bio because there is a good chance that one or more of your keywords are in the title and/or content of that internal page also, so it makes link building easier, more powerful and on target, so that the reader of the article on the directories may clickthrough.

This also applies to directory submissions, commenting and a host of other linking methods.

stay focused and you will do fine, take a shotgun approace and you are liable to miss the mark and make nothing, but will still be just as busy getting nowhere.

Take the time to stay focused and build a good business.

We have good experiences with sub directories.

We have 6 products and all are located just on one domain in 6 main sub directories. We focus mainly on one or two products and rest of web sites we don't change (often not changed more than year)

We discovered, that when one product rose on google, also other products rose even if we didn't touch content of rest of products.
Seems like quality of domain draws also rest of sub sites.

With sub domains we have different experience. e.g. we had blog on sub domain and it didn't rise so fast as main domain pages.

I hope this helps.

This threadhas been very informative and answered a question I had on this very topic. I am glad I came across it. I was thinking this was the case but just never really took the time to investigate it closely. Thanks again for all the information provided here!

Subdomains are viewed as independent sites by the search engines & need promoting as such. Sub directories will benefit from any main site promotion.

Although it is much better to have separate domains if you are promoting multiple products Sub Domains are a viable alternative & have a couple of benefits.

1/ You can name them what you want - You are not restricted by the available domain names so you can match the product name or targeted keywords.

2/ Cost - Depending on your host you may well have unlimited sub-domains on your account so the sites don't cost anything.

Content & Promotion are more important than this topic, whether your site be a domain or sub domain it needs original quality content & links to it from as many topic related authority sites as you can get.

Well said Simon,

I totally agree with this the more imporant thing is site content and you also need to promote your subdomains like you would your original home page or sales page the more backlinks to these subdomains the better they will rank in the major search engine and we all want that. Right?
;)

banners
Back