The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Newbie seeking knowledge ...

CXM99

affiliate
Hi, joined the forum to learn as much as I can. I'm very much a newbie and yet to earn my first $ online. A bit overwhelmed with all the info I've gathered, and I seem to spend a lot of time on Google tracking down and figuring out the terminology. I expect to learn a lot here on the forum and in the Dojo (if it would only let me log in! ) :(

I'm based in lovely Perth in Western Australia, so, "G'day from WA!"

Hi, joined the forum to learn as much as I can.

Hello @CXM99 and welcome to the AffiliateFix! All of us are happy to have on the FIX with us and it's great to see you have joined us in the DOJO!

I'm very much a newbie and yet to earn my first $ online.

We've all been there, and to be honest, it is a position that allows for you to choose your path.

A bit overwhelmed with all the info I've gathered, and I seem to spend a lot of time on Google tracking down and figuring out the terminology.

The reason you are overwhelmed is because the industry is very large and there are dozens of places to start. The simple truth is, as a beginner, you should start at the beginning of one area to get your feet wet and stay with it until you master it. For example, if you want to start with mobile, then select a hot mobile vertical, select on tracker that works well with both mobile and desktop, and select one traffic source. You can master these three things in a matter of a couple of months as long as you treat it like a business, work on a schedule, with a budget, and lose any distractions while in this beginner process.

I expect to learn a lot here on the forum and in the Dojo (if it would only let me log in! )

You will learn, and continue to learn, that is exactly what all of the great members here are doing at evvery skill level. learning never stops in a growing business.

Are you still having trouble logging in to the DOJO?

I'm based in lovely Perth in Western Australia, so, "G'day from WA!"

We all hope you have a "G'Day" as well!

I have a couple of suggestions I provide to all Newbies:

Remember to read through our WIKI and get to know the basics as well as some of the buzz words in the industry.

I also recommend reading the following thread:

As a Newbie, What Stops You From Getting Started

Here is a set of goals I always share with Newbies:

1. Get a VPS
2. Select a vertical
3. Select a tracker
4. Select a couple of networks and get your approval
5. Select a traffic source
6. Create a schedule for researching, learning (training), and working. This is a business, treat it as such!
7. Create a budget for every expense (daily, weekly, monthly)
8. Be very active in this forum by researching, asking questions, helping others when you are able.

We look forward to seeing you around the forum!

T J

Hi,TJ.
Thanks for your comments and advice. Yes I sorted out the Dojo - it was just the toolkit, but all sorted now. I like the 8-point checklist.
1. I have hosting, but not a VPS at the moment; I don't have the technical skills to manage a VPS myself, so have to find a provider who does that for it's clients.
2-5. Sorted. I'm in two networks, have 3 (paid) and 1 unpaid traffic sources recommended to me, and have gone with Voluum for tracking at this stage.
6-8 are what I need to work on, especially item 6. Action, and consistent regular action, is what I'm short on - I have to keep giving myself a kick in the rear to keep making progress.

I'll check out the reading you recommended. Thanks.

Hi,TJ. Thanks for your comments and advice.

You're welcome buddy, glad to help.

Yes I sorted out the Dojo - it was just the toolkit, but all sorted now.

That's great, I knew it must have been something simple.

I like the 8-point checklist.

I share it as often as I can. It is the simple truth as to how to get started. It's simple and elegant at the same time. This business is no different than any other. Take your time at the beginning to really embrace the basic structure of the industry and learn to master it, thrn the rest will go much smoother for you as you push on after that.

1. I have hosting, but not a VPS at the moment; I don't have the technical skills to manage a VPS myself, so have to find a provider who does that for it's clients.

It is imperative that you get a VPS. You can find all kinds of them for around $30 a month. I use BlueHost for my VPS's because I have had great customer service with them and any time I get stuck they take the time to walk me through anything I don't have experience with. Their VPS's are scalable as well and have among the most features available for a starter VPS. My dedicated servers are on my own rack space with a private firm. You don't need one at this time and may never need one. Managing your server is not a big deal at all. It is very little work. There are two software's you will interface with on your VPS, WHM and CPanel. There are others, but on average, these are the only two interfaces you will ever need to work with.

WHM - Web Host Manager
You will set up your backup schedule here as well as your servers spam filters and firewall settings.

CPanel -Your Hosting Platform
Here you add your domains, setup your email addresses, set your email spa filters up, and bunches of other stuff that is very self explanatory and easy for anyone to learn and use.

2-5. Sorted. I'm in two networks, have 3 (paid) and 1 unpaid traffic sources recommended to me, and have gone with Voluum for tracking at this stage.

This is more than enough for you to start with. In fact, I might recommend sticking with one traffic source (paid), two at the most. Learn to master one traffic source and you will have the skills to zero in on targeted traffic with most of the others. Trying to do a bunch of them at once as a Newbie can be a disaster.

6-8 are what I need to work on, especially item 6. Action, and consistent regular action, is what I'm short on - I have to keep giving myself a kick in the rear to keep making progress.

Schedules and budgets are a must. When I sit down at my computers for work, I have a complete outline of what must be done that day, as well as secondary and tertiary tasks that I will try to get to as well. I always prepare and refine my schedule every evening for the next day. Turn off any distractions and if you are home with others, make sure they understand you are working and not to be disturbed except for emergencies. It's a business!

I'll check out the reading you recommended. Thanks.

Stay on task, ask loads of questions, this is the life of a Marketing Ninja!

MI
Back