The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Newbie - Quick Question about SEO

jsticca

affiliate
Hello,

I am VERY new to affiliate marketing, SEO, and even building web pages. This site has provided a lot of help though!

My question is simple. I am using RapidWeaver to build my affiliate site, through a template. I can simply just insert texts into my pages (kind of like a word processor) and when I publish my page, it shows up on the internet as expected. I've been making sure all my headers are tagged with h1, h2, h3 etc. But all of the content I've been writing has just been typed in with no tag. Since I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a p tag, will it still be picked up by spiders? Should I go back and make sure all text on my entire site has some type of designation, whether it be a header or paragraph?

Thanks!

Even plain text gets spidered after your site gets found by the search engines. Text does not need to have an H tag or a P tag. The H tags just add emphasis and therefore show that the words in H tags are titles, sub titles or are important on the page.

I have to say that this forum has provided lots of help for me too, and I'm learning everyday a little more thanks everyone.

What are those spiders that everybody talks about ? I know it has to do something with the search engines but, what exactly !

Welcome jsticca
H1, H2, and other tags are very important when it comes for SEO but it not mandatory to include all text under some tag. Each tag is having it's own importance and should be used accordingly.
Importance of tags :-
h1 -- website name
h2 - page title
h2 - article heading & sub sections
< strong > tags to highlight key words or phrases of importance...
When it comes for SEO you can follow the convention as follow

h1 - page/paragraph Title and also website name
h2 - page/paragraph Sub-Title

Use "paragraph" format for your content. No h-tags... Make sure you don't overload tags for your webpages.

@kikoman :- Spiders are bots who browse the whole internet and index webpages so that they can provide us relevant results for our searches

Wow, I was always doing h1 = page title.
This information well founded?

Welcome jsticca
H1, H2, and other tags are very important when it comes for SEO but it not mandatory to include all text under some tag. Each tag is having it's own importance and should be used accordingly.
h1 -- website name
h2 - page title
h2 - article heading & sub sections
< strong > tags to highlight key words or phrases of importance...
When it comes for SEO you can follow the convention as follow

h1 - page/paragraph Title and also website name
h2 - page/paragraph Sub-Title

Use "paragraph" format for your content. No h-tags... Make sure you don't overload tags for your webpages.

@kikoman :- Spiders are bots who browse the whole internet and index webpages so that they can provide us relevant results for our searches

No.. you should avoid using H1 as page title rather use title tag for page titles which will boost your SEO ranking

The title tag has been – and probably will always be – one of the most important factors in achieving high search engine rankings.

Title tag have great importance and should include relevant keywords for that particular page :)

Hope this will help you !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
No.. you should avoid using H1 as page title rather use title tag for page titles which will boost your SEO ranking

That's absolutely bad advice. Yes you use a title tag and it's most important BUT it doesn't do any good unless the keywords are also on the page and most importantly in the text title on the page. That text title should also be in an H1 H2 or H3. So it's not either or... it's both.

Linda, I am not here for giving bad advice :mad: and will never do that. I have been in SEO since 4 years and hope i know few basics of it.

It seems that you missed my last line in above post.
Title tag have great importance and should include relevant keywords for that particular page

Why will you add keywords in your title tag if they are no-where in that perticular page.

I am sorry Linda if i'm rude.

Linda, I am not here for giving bad advice :mad: and will never do that. I have been in SEO since 4 years and hope i know few basics of it.

It seems that you missed my last line in above post.
Title tag have great importance and should include relevant keywords for that particular page

Why will you add keywords in your title tag if they are no-where in that perticular page.

:confused:

Why would your title tag NOT include your most important search terms? If they don't, you haven't constructed an appropriate title tag for that page.

But more generally, Harry, the problem is that your statements are both confusing and seemingly contradictory.

Here you say:

Welcome jsticca
h1 -- website name
h2 - page title

Then you say:

you should avoid using H1 as page title rather use title tag for page titles which will boost your SEO ranking

Frankly, I don't know what it is you're trying to say here. That's why I didn't post a reply earlier, although I did read the thread.

As for

I have been in SEO since 4 years and hope i know few basics of it.

I've known Linda online since about 1996 if memory serves and we've both been involved in SEO and SEM for 15 years or more.

It's possible that we've all misinterpreted what you were trying to say. Perhaps you could clarify.

Hi Harry,

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I just didn't want a newbie to be confused by this sentence.

"No.. you should avoid using H1 as page title rather use title tag for page titles which will boost your SEO ranking."

It sounded like you were saying no don't use a page title only use a title tag (which I assumed to mean meta title) which didn't really make sense to me, because you need both. Plus page titles are typically H1, 2 or 3.

For instance, one of the sites in your sig at dedicatedserverwebhost.com. Not sure if you designed it or SEOed it but "Dedicated Server Hosting" is in both the meta title as well as in the H1 text in the title of the page, as it should be. Same thing with webhosting.uk.com. It also uses H1 for the page title.

I will try to explain in simple words :)
# All tags are important no matter if it's H1, H2 or Title tag.. they have their own importance.
When it comes for Title tag, you should try to include all important keywords for it make sure you have sprinkle them throughout the text for that particular page where as H1 tag should be used for highlighting subtopics, it's a part of document.

As you all are senior SEO professionals you must be knowing that we usually have title tag which describes document as a whole whereas H1, h2 tags are like subdivisions/subtitle.
All browser will display the title tag as part of the text appearing in the title bar. You will see title for your favorites or bookmarks.

Just trying to make things more easier for webmaster like

No offense mate :)

I will try to explain in simple words :)
# All tags are important no matter if it's H1, H2 or Title tag.. they have their own importance.
When it comes for Title tag, you should try to include all important keywords for it make sure you have sprinkle them throughout the text for that particular page where as H1 tag should be used for highlighting subtopics, it's a part of document.

As you all are senior SEO professionals you must be knowing that we usually have title tag which describes document as a whole whereas H1, h2 tags are like subdivisions/subtitle.
All browser will display the title tag as part of the text appearing in the title bar. You will see title for your favorites or bookmarks.

See, that's part of the reason for the confusion - you are mixing head tags which don't appear on the page itself (i.e., the title tag) with on page content, what the visitor sees, the body of the web page.

H1, H2, etc., tags can only be used within the body tags, so speaking of the title tag in the same breath is confusing.

What I think is happening is that some of the posters in this thread are rfeferring to H1 tags around a "page title", meaning the main title or heading for that page, as opposed to the title tag which is inserted into the head section of the HTML page.

No worries Linda :)
I am sorry, if my comment sound rude, i do follow forum etiquette and always try to help others. Sometimes i may be wrong as I am social human being ;)
people usually make mistakes while using H1 and title tag.

What I think is happening is that some of the posters in this thread are rfeferring to H1 tags around a "page title", meaning the main title or heading for that page, as opposed to the title tag which is inserted into the head section of the HTML page.

You are right Admin, even i think so.. ppl are mingling two different concepts.
just like @adbox :)

banners
Back