The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Network vs. your work

I'll cover some of the advantages of a network as that's by far IMHO the easiest way to run a program.

Many affiliates prefer networks, so I say go with what affiliates want. Some of the reasons they prefer: 1) Trusted 3rd party payments 2) Consolidates payments 3) One place to log into, one set of reports to learn, one place to get all their banners and links from multiple merchants they are partnered with.

I do affiliate recruiting for a living and can tell you it's MUCH easier to recruit for network programs than in-house programs. Additionally it's easier to run the program, plus the network handles affiliate payments for you.

Think you may have a different def of tiered payouts than we do in the industry.
Networks can have straight payouts or tiered it's up to the merchant.

IDEALLY with fairly big programs I consult for I recommend having both an in-house and a network option. I would tell the merchant to pay a little more in-house to offset not having to pay the network fees. Then you can give affiliates the choice because there are a few that would prefer in-house or if you choose the wrong network there are some affs that won't work with certain networks either.

Feel free to email me for an appointment for a free phone consultation. So much easier to talk and give advice than to try to type it out. linda AT 5staraffiliateprograms DOT com

The short of it?

Networks:
  1. Already have the affilates
  2. have a structure for paying affiliates
  3. have a structure to handle fraud
  4. Offer top notch tracking

Of course doing it yourself you have to do all that stuff. Each of which can be problematic in it's own right. Honestly managing an affiliate program can be like a whole new business unto itself.

Having your own affiliate program is time consuming that's why some companies hire an affiliate manager for their inhouse programs.
I think inhouse program is a must have.
Now, using networks is also a requirement. I think you have no choice if you want to get quick exposure.

MI
Back