The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Mobile versions of websites as duplicate content?

Nomad2075

Update on duplicate content, if there is a mobile version for a site it can now count as duplicate content. The solution is to create a style sheet for the main website. To avoid the possibility that Google recognises the mobile site as the main site and then counts the main site as duplicate content.

Update on duplicate content, if there is a mobile version for a site it can now count as duplicate content. The solution is to create a style sheet for the main website. To avoid the possibility that Google recognises the mobile site as the main site and then counts the main site as duplicate content.

Where did you hear this?

From whom? Given that Google is actively promoting the creation of mobile versions of your sites, this seems quite unlikely to me.

Additionally, I have mobile versions of all my sites. I see no warnings in Google Webmaster.

We heard from one of the top Google guys that if you have a mobile version of a site try not to create a duplicate copy, just try and name it m.(website name).com

They suggest using the css to modify the site so that it fits mobile devices.

The main problem exists with mobile sites that have been specifically designed for mobile. That when a mobile device is detected that is the site that is loaded. If it is just automatic conversion of an existing site to a different site, then there is no duplicate content.

The main problem exists with mobile sites that have been specifically designed for mobile. That when a mobile device is detected that is the site that is loaded. If it is just automatic conversion of an existing site to a different site, then there is no duplicate content.

Okay. And as Google suggests, you then label that site as m.yoursite.com to flag it for Google and Bing (that's what most of the major corporations do).

Adding to the question...

For a noob like myself, who purchased a .mobi domain to "compliment" my main site, would I redirect it to the m.website.com? or did I purchase something that is unnecessary?

Thanks.
CHF

MI
Back