The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Linux and MAC?

Nobody. Linux Torvalds own the rights to the name "Linux", but not even he owns the operating system, which he created.

Ok, this is beginning to be a pain in the backside. The only operating system we sell are Microsoft's, we would also like to sell linux and MAC.

Who do we contact for linux software (applications & operating systems)?

Well you might have a couple of problems there.

You see, selling Mac OS isn't really profitable. I mean Apple does it but they are the creators of the OS. Every Mac comes equipped with Mac OS. It comes free with the computer. So the only time people buy Mac OS is when a new version comes out and they keep their old computer.
And than Apple offers the upgrade for a small amount of money anyway (under 10 pounds).
And I think to be able to sell Mac OS you need to become an Apple certified dealer. So you'd need to sell their hardware and other products as well.

As for selling Linux... That's even harder. Noone ownes it. It's licensed under the GPL (see here for more info).
After all the Linux itself is only an OS kernel. The full featured version of the Linux OS is called a distribution. There are many Linux distributions and most of them (90%) are free.
Distribution is a Linux kernel, packed with a graphical user interface and software.
All of the commercial Linux distributions have their free versions.
Here are links to some commercial Linux distributions:
Welcome / Home - Mandriva Linux
Linux Operating Systems: SUSE Linux Enterprise
redhat.com | Home

Anyway, commercial Linux distributions are intended for large corporations or web-hosts.
And to tell you the truth I really don't know what would make me buy a Linux distribution since I can get them for free.

Actually You can sell Linux OS. There are various companies that have different commercial versions of Linux as well as some free versions that can and are in fact for sale legally. There are a few websites on the web that sell many varities of Linux on CDs and DVDs. Some of those stores sell them with full backing of their respective creators. Another way is to sell Linux with hardware. It still is a small market, but it is growing. I personally am considering buying laptop with Linux pre-installed. And the rise of Linux popularity with various Governments and companies across the world will sure create some extra push. Ubuntu for instance is growing so popular that some of the people that I have never thought would consider switching from Windows are asking me how good is Ubuntu and all the related questions. Linux is becoming far more friendly and it is by far more compatible with either Mac OS and window$. So I'd suggest considering Linux in Your future as a product You sell. I sadly missed out on an opportunity with one of the Linux companies and I kick myself for that now.

banners
Back