propellerads adcombo
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Links back from the same server

Discussion in 'Domains and Hosting' started by sem-dude, Jul 14, 2008.

1. sem-dude

sem-dude Affiliate affiliate

Every time my company publishes a new website, it makes a link back to its own site. Many of the sites reside on the same server as the company website. Could this have any negative effects to search engines?

2. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy Affiliate affiliate

negatiove no, non positive, yes. So in effect, if the links were on a different C class IP address, they would carry more weight.

3. johnafrankllin

johnafrankllin Affiliate affiliate

Since most of the websites hosted on same shared server and link them together actually do not harm in any way. But as told by OWG the weight of the link becomes less.
    I would say the same

regards
    John

3 people like this.
  4. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy Affiliate affiliate

John that is a very VERY good point you have made (have some rep for it) :).

If you have 40 directories, all carrying similar content, all owned by the same owner, all cross linking, and all on the same server, then you might well be nailed as a bad neghbourhood. But in general, if the sites are related you would EXPECT them to be cross linked.

penalty and devaluing are different things. Not getting the benefit is different to being penalised.

5. IC_IC

IC_IC Affiliate affiliate

There is lots of shared hosting out there, so I am not sure linking back from the same server will be frowned upon. Same ip is another story, that could cause problems if you have dozens of links coming from the same ip address.

Featured Resources (View All)

adsxposed