The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Joomla or wordpress ? Which is best

euwebdesigns

affiliate
I have been using joomla and wordpress for 3 years and i still can not decide which is best. They both have there own qualitys , i think wordpress is much more search engine friendly, but joomla is much more powerfull and has lots more plugins and modules etc. With wordpress its simle out of the box easy to use , very serch engine friendly , joomla much harder to use but if you get the hang of it you will be whipping websites up for fun in minutes

I was having a conversation about this topic with several other creative agencies. There is a very split divide. I have been using Joomla for 3 years, and I have only used Wordpress on one occassion.

From a development perspective I think Joomla is best, especially where corporate sites are concerned due to the plugins, wordpress was originally a blogging software. It may be argued that Wordpress is more SEO friendly, but I can't see any built in facilities in Wordpress, that Joomla's most recent version doesn't have. I would invite someone to list the advantages and disadvantages of the two from an SEO perspective.

Any takers?!? Would be interesting to see! :)

Wordpress is much better as you can split page titles joomla does not allow this, you can not do a title break in joomla , i have found out it can be done but that wold be a job for the joomla developers

Hi euwebdesigns

Interesting point, can you expand on what you mean by 'split page titles' and 'title break'?

Thanks very much! ST

Yes, joomla does not add your site title in to page titles it only adds the page title.

example:

I have a wordpress website called Google Affiliate Network my site name is "google affiliate network"

Now my page is title is "welcome to the google affiliate network"

This is how it will show within search results:
Welcome to the google affiliate network | Google Affiliate Network

Can you see the line break ? |

This line is very important it seperates my site title from my page title
page title goes on the right hand side, website title on the left hand side.

Works very well for websites with keywords or phases included in the domain name.

But with joomla this is how it would show within search results
Welcome to the google affiliate network

Joomla does not include your site name in page titles, as it does not support page title breaks or seperators.

Hope this helps you

Hi euwebdesigns,

Thanks for enlightening me on that! Very interesting point that I'm going to look into improving on Joomla.

Just a quick note, your titles may work better the other way round. Google gives more weight to the first several words, therefore I would put 'google affiliate network' first, 'welcome to the' is also no good for people scanning through search results - just an idea!

Thanks again, ST

Wordpress is currently evolving so that it is less of a blogging platform and more of a CMS. Joomla is more powerful, but it is also more difficult to master.

I have worked with both over the last few years. It is difficult to do a like for like comparison as they are aimed at different markets.

I think the your decision should be based on the needs and capabilities of your client.

If you are looking for an "out of the box solution" that works and is for clients who are not too tech-savvy then I would go for Wordpress.

Mike

I think you are right mike , wordpress is a great blogging platform, very good stats , easy blogging very search engine friendly.

Joomla is better for websites , not blogs .

If i could change two things on joomla it would be

1) page title breaks

2) title codes, hey show as <content heading> how a search engine is supposed to understand that i do not know. It would be quite easy for joomla to replace that with , H1/H2 tags.

i too vote for wordpress.. its good but the security is poor.. site can be easily hacked.. i had the experience of my site hacked when i was using wordpress.. otherwise it is good.

Yes i agree im not sure what it is but i can have to sites one made with joomla and the other made with wordpress both with article comments and the one with article comments which was made with wordpress gets spammed all the time i delete maybe 100 spam messgaes a day. I think maybe some has designed software to spam wordpress sites as i dont get this problem with joomla

For SEO point of view and to me more simple is Word press, but if you say plugins then Joomla is much advace then Word press.

MI
Back