The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Is it a mistake to submit site to directories?

jmk909er

affiliate
I have a relatively new site and was advised to submit my site to directories. I was getting about a dozen hits a day but since submitting to directories I have flat-lined to zero hits for the last 5 days! Is it a mistake to submit to directories?

It's not necessarily a mistake to submit to directories but these days it is a HUGE mistake to submit to most directories.

Good directories are those which exercise quality control via human reviewing, which probably means they reject more submissions than they accept. Bad directories accept all submissions or all paid submissions.

Good directories are niche directories relevant for the focus of your site. Bad directories are most general directories.

Avoid all bidding directories, where the featured listings go to the highest bidder.

I think I just figured out why all my traffic dropped off. About 7 days ago I switched to a new WP theme. Well when I went to Google webmaster tools right now it said it can't verify my site. So it hit me that GA has not been able to track my site since I switched themes! I don't know why GA didn't notify me of this???

So I just pasted the GA snippet into my new theme and I'm hoping to see some traffic again.

...And I will beware of low PR spammy directories.

Thank you so much, i am a newbie and i was about to do the same mistake ; submitting my site to all directories i can find.
Thanks again !

I'm happy to hear that you were able to figure out what happened.

As for directories, I would have to agree with Minstrel. Use directories that are well indexed, human edited and not based on a bidding model.

Ones that perform website reviews and listing services promptly and affordable are probably the best ones out there..

I would not use any directory that is not industry specific to your vertical, and even then it's hard to tell what will be a future target. Just because one is indexed and has PR or other factors is not good enough either.

The very nature of directories screams linking scheme or paid links,,so if you want to play it smart, you need to avoid them all together. Check this out Google Reconsideration Request Replies; understanding the evolution | Search News Central .

I would focus 80 plus % of my time on social, build a following and let others build the links for you. If you can't get natural links from your social following, then you don't deserve top positions anyway. You have to be better and different if you want to hold top positions these days. Easy is gone, put out quality or find new work...it's that simple.

Fake links, fake likes and all this other stuff is going away. Google is using machine learning (AI). They have lots of data and have modeled features to the point to where it will not be long and the fakers are gone. Learn to build outstanding and "Engaging" content, build a following, or you will be in the poorhouse shortly.

This does not mean you can't make it, it just means you are not going to copy someone else...you must be different. If 90% of your traffic is based on natural serps, that's suspicious if you stop and think about it. If you get 1,000 unique a day from Google and there is no social following, who built the links to your site to make you rank?

This is where Google is going like it or not. Work on social people , work on social.

going against consensus here ..

I used to submit all new sites to directories to get some kind of random IP links happening, never expecting visitors or caring too much about link juice power, as most have none.

HOWEVER, lately in sub niches of the services field, I have found google dominated by several broad business directory categories. Seems that these free directories are getting their seo together and ranking surprislingly well for many keywords I didnt expect them to - so people who cant afford websites are now paying for premium listings again.

But no, they dont really help with your PR as far as my link tools suggest ..

HOWEVER, lately in sub niches of the services field, I have found google dominated by several broad business directory categories.

This is exactly why i say not to do it. If something makes it where you can easily manipulate the SERPs, you can rest assured that if you join the crowd, you will disappear with the crowd.

Google's Next Penguin Update Will Be "Jarring & Jolting"

Don't confuse the last penguin "Refresh" with the update. There are very few directories that have "authority" and as stated earlier, directories scream linking scheme. Just warning you and others as to what's coming soon.

A prime example is Yahoo directory, but how do you get in the Yahoo directory? you pay! That is paid links no matter how you look at it. The nature of directories spells trouble now.

There are very few directories that have "authority" and as stated earlier, directories scream linking scheme. Just warning you and others as to what's coming soon.

As a source of PageRank, yes. If the directory is a directory of resources (e.g., medical resources, mental health resources, parenting resources, therapists, etc.) it may still have considerable value as a source of traffic to a listed site. I use one such directory (apart from my own) on a regular basis for finding resources for clients or other practitioners in Ottawa, and my practice is listed there as well, which brings me a steady trickle of new clients (more than the Yellow Pages ever did!).

I have a relatively new site and was advised to submit my site to directories. I was getting about a dozen hits a day but since submitting to directories I have flat-lined to zero hits for the last 5 days! Is it a mistake to submit to directories?

It's not a mistake. There are real persons that browse those directories and might find the your post and enter your site.

It's not a mistake. There are real persons that browse those directories and might find the your post and enter your site.

There are also spiders that browse those directories and might hit you for "bad neighborhood" links.

Hello

I think this is where some common sense comes into play. If your blog is about pets clothing, then submitting your site to a directory that is about medicines will be a mistake and wont do you any favours.

I think Directories have a part to play in your overall SEO strategy but it should not be the main one. A few quality human edited relevant ones will be fine. (Google is always changing its mind about what is good and what isn't )

One to think about is finding out about local online directories. I think it would be a good idea to have your site listed on those as long as they are good quality. If other local businesses are on them, you can be pretty sure that it is ok for you as well

MI
Back