The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Is google counting no follow links

K

karmadir

Hi,

Recently I visited a forum that has a discussion that google has started counting no follow links, most of the people were confirming it.

But, there is no official claim about it.

I would like to know is that true?

Is Google really counting no follow links. I would like to get or share your opinion about that.

If anybody knew about this, then please share the link with us.

I don't know if anyone can 'know' this, but I'm sure lots have their opinions.

I don't think they do follow them, at least they don't pass any PR or weight for the anchor text.

If google started counting them what is the purpose of do follow links?

yes,.... i think as long as the link is posted to a quality relevant site SE esp Google will crawl it, :D

As far as I know, Google only counts links as backlinks if these links are in dofollow.

When I check my backlinks manually using this command: link:sitename.com , the backlinks that are counted by google are only those links that came from dofollow links.

But if you look in Google Webmaster Tools | Links | Pages with external links you will see backlinks that were nofollow.

The link:sitename command only shows tiny proportion of the total number of links Google has found.

Was it showing earlier

But if you look in Google Webmaster Tools | Links | Pages with external links you will see backlinks that were nofollow.

The link:sitename command only shows tiny proportion of the total number of links Google has found.

Was Googe webmaster tools showing no follow links earlier or it has just started showing recently.

If it is showing recently, then there is a strong chance that google is considering no follow links.

No-follow simply means the bots do not follow the link when they find it. However, when the page with the link on is indexed it still contains the backlink to the site regardless of whether or not the bot followed the link.

I think there is wide misunderstanding of what dofollow/nofollow does.

It is simply an instruction to a bot as to whether or not to follow a particular link. Think about it. If a bot is reading the dofollow/nofollow instruction then it is already on the page where the link resides. That page is then indexed along with the link.

However, it may follow the link (dofollow) or not follow it (nofollow). If the link is dofollow then the bot will follow that link and index the page it points at. If it is nofollow then the bot cannot follow the link and therefore will not index the page it points to.

So, to summarise, dofollow and nofollow have no effect over whether or not the link in question gets indexed along with the page it appears on. It simply tells the bot whether to visit the page the link points at.

The vast majority of no follow links are probably not counted, but that doesn't mean a few doesn't slip by the cracks or have some affect on the SE ranking, even if a small percentage so get the links where you can and let the SE's sort it all out :)

they wont count it as the name suggest it all. No follow that is it wont be followed

You are completely missing the point. A link being followed is not the same as a link 'counting'. If a page is indexed and there is a link to your site on it then it will be taken into consideration by Google's algo. Just becuase a page has no follow links on it doesn't mean that page won't be indexed.

I know this is FACT because I have backlinks showing in my Google Webmaster Tools that came from nofollow backlinks.

Here's some explanation.

1. How does your search engine treat the No Follow attribute?

• Google : The Googlebot does not follow that link.
  • Yahoo : If we find a link we make it available to our algorithms to find new content, whether it has a ‘no follow’ attribute or not. However, if the ‘no follow’ attribute is present, it means that no attribution is given to the target from the source of the link.
  • Ask.com : We have never officially supported No Follow, so your questions don’t apply to our crawler/ranking.
more on www dot searchenginejournal.com/how-google-yahoo-askcom-treat-the-no-follow-link-attribute/4801/

PS. sorry I can't post a link yet

Here's some explanation.

1. How does your search engine treat the No Follow attribute?

• Google : The Googlebot does not follow that link.
  • Yahoo : If we find a link we make it available to our algorithms to find new content, whether it has a ‘no follow’ attribute or not. However, if the ‘no follow’ attribute is present, it means that no attribution is given to the target from the source of the link.
  • Ask.com : We have never officially supported No Follow, so your questions don’t apply to our crawler/ranking.
more on www dot searchenginejournal.com/how-google-yahoo-askcom-treat-the-no-follow-link-attribute/4801/

PS. sorry I can't post a link yet

Great post - nice info and thanks for sharing with us.

The rel=nofollow attribute was introduced to combat blog comment spam. It was supposed to mean “I don’t vouch for this link.”

Rest I read lots more articles, the only thing any webmaster will loose is a backlink. Rest google wont be having any negative effect on those websites.

Yes google counts them but they won't count for your PR..but many banklinks are links i don't really stay to focus on do follow too much.

MI
Back