The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

Importance of Backlinks

Page rank is of minimal importance. The topical nature of the page where the backlink appears is more important. The page rank will just give you some kind of indication of the general strength of the domain. It will not tell you if the site has a high ranking for a particular keyword or phrase. And seeing as any optimiser worth his salt will focus on a particular set of keyphrases, page rank can be somewhat misleading.

kind of indication of the general strength of the domain

hmmm, see this is where I totally dont agree with you on that one and about to shred that theory to bits (in my cross cut shredder).

Strength of domain names should be in the actual name itself eg: iwantoneofthose.com. I personally own 8 of the strongest, most memorable domain names on the web, the names indentify the site, create a brand thats instantly recognisable and highly memorable, so it angers me when Google slaps some 'low grade' ranking for my homepage, ok I know the domain is only part of it, but its a 4.5 year old domain and ex PR4 site, which if anything has 25% more content than when it was PR 4.

I dont know how badly affected other directories are, but from what I've heard/seen on forums etc - the hit is very bad, but then most are empty worthless shells, where mine is not. So I hold zero faith in what search engines reckon - it cuts no ice with me and think their full of crap.

How can a site that gets millions of searchers per year be labelled as low rank. I mean, pagerank is a sort of ranking system right, Google are putting worth on a page, so how the hell can a 6.5 year old site be of such low rank with 10'000 plus links pointing to it - with just a PR of 2 for the homepage, good SEO and the leader in what it does.

I dont trust what Google says and is clearly wrong about many websites today. Ive lost count of the good homepages that have PR 2, 3 and 4 - which should be much higher for the work and effort put in.

I admit my site could use a redesign, its not the prettiest site about, but not ugly or anything. Ive seen naff link pages with more PR that on some portals homepages! I think its shocking that so many worthy sites are judged this way, and it is a judgement here, green pixel entertainment aside.....

As I said PR just gives "some kind of indication of domain strength". That's all I said.

I did not say that PR is in any way a MEASURE of domain strength. I didn't suggest that a PR5 site is definately stronger than a PR4 site.

As for domain strength being simply the actual name i.e. iwantoneofthose.com I disagree.

I have some domains that I bought just for the terms in the domain name. motorsportvideo.co.uk is one of mine. 'Video' is and has been for several years one of the most popular search terms on the web. 'Motorsport Video' is a popular search phrase but this does not mean the domain Motorsport Video - Download AVIs has any domain strength at all.

I also own laptops-for-sale.co.uk. Over 100,000 searches for 'laptops for sale' every month on Google UK but again, this domain has no strength in itself.

That's not to say that the words in the URL are not important. As you can tell from my choices of domain names I place a huge emphasis on this.

I think really we just have slightly differing ideas of what domain strength actually means.

Link Exchane-business/finance/insurence sites - any PR

Hi,

I need business,finance,insurence sites any pr.

I have all theme back link sites.

If you have please mail me.

Shalini
Webmaster.

MI
Back