The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

I'm so confused

I think I am going to come up with a new domain name all together. I know it's a lot of work but I want a domain name that will stand out and can be easily remembered. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

I started Motive with no money i mean zero. I worked off an old PC and then when i hired 2 people we shared that PC and a cell phone. After two months we had money to buy computers and phones, after four months to get an office, after 6 to hire a few more people, and 1 year later we had done of 4 million in sales - not too bad for a first year. So yes you can start with nothing - no matter what you are doing.

Something that people have to remember, though, is that affiliate marketing, if you're serious about it, is not a "here today, gone tomorrow" venture. You're building a business, so the investment of $10 for a domain name and like $30 a year for hosting is a pretty low barrier of entry.

You'll thank yourself in the long run for starting out on a self-hosted wordpress.org platform instead of the free hosted wordpress.com or blogger.com. Trust me - moving over a lot of content from a hosted to self-hosted when you're "ready" is a PAIN in the behind! And you wouldn't want to risk losing good content should it not go as smoothly as you'd like.

Just my nugget from experience :D

Trust me - moving over a lot of content from a hosted to self-hosted when you're "ready" is a PAIN in the behind! And you wouldn't want to risk losing good content should it not go as smoothly as you'd like.

Just my nugget from experience :D

And a GOLD nugget it is! Thanks Trisha, I agree!

I started Motive with no money i mean zero. I worked off an old PC and then when i hired 2 people we shared that PC and a cell phone. After two months we had money to buy computers and phones, after four months to get an office, after 6 to hire a few more people, and 1 year later we had done of 4 million in sales - not too bad for a first year. So yes you can start with nothing - no matter what you are doing.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brendan owns an affiliate network which is one of the hardest things you can do. I know lots about every aspect of this business and even if someone gave me a million $$ to start a network I wouldn't. It's THAT hard. :eek:

I worked with a leading company in the biz to help them try to start one and even with their VERY experienced and large team, they couldn't pull it off.

(Just thought I'd share that so newbies wouldn't get the idea it was the place to start.)

thanks for the positive feedback everyone - truth it is this kind of positive feedback from forums like this, as well as the info that can be found here that helped me grow my business. Linda is 100% right it is a really hard business and one that I love, It took a ton of hard work, sleepless nights and a great staff. I would contribute our success in large part to:

dedicated, hard working staff
a solid and proven technology
our ability to adapt to industry growth and changes
strong sense of integrity
loyalty and commitment to our clients (advertisers and affiliates)
ability of management to visualize our path to success
and a lot of Luck.

I got a question for u Brendan, u started the first month with nothing except PC. U made the script urself? How did u handled security cuz its easyer to hack then everything else.

;)

I got a question for u Brendan, u started the first month with nothing except PC. U made the script urself? How did u handled security cuz its easyer to hack then everything else.

;)

Not sure what security you are speaking about, or which script, what is easier to hack and what is everything else?

My business started very small, it really started around 2000 but became Motive in 2004. We did always have technology it was never just a "script" we have built several versions of a complex software that helps us manage our business, qualify leads, protected against fraud, serve ads, support affiliates.. and so on. It has grown into a much more complex system overtime and we have invested a great deal of time and money into and we do have security procedures and safeguards in place.

MI
Back