The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

iframing - Does it affect page rank?

svtdbird

affiliate
Can anyone tell me if iframing affects your page rank for the natural listings? I don't care so much as the actual page that I'm iframing, but the home page. Will it affect the page rank for my home page?

Sorry svtdbird, I don't know. Maybe later one of our techy types can give you some feedback. But I doubt many of our active members use iframes much because they are against the TOS of so many programs. Plus not certain anyone will know for sure accept the big G.

To understand how this works you have to understand what IFrames do as far as SEO is concerned. An iframe is basicaly a page within a page, so having a small iframe in a page is a way to keep that information from getting indexed unless you have a link outside of the frame linking to within the frame.

So, the page or URL string will not be affected, but you can not be credited with onpage factors within the frame, so it will have an effect on the ranking of the page because google can not read the content in the frame, so doing onpage within the frame is useless, it can also mess with stats, like CTR's on banners by hiding the source of the clicks (which is why affiliate programs do not allow them).

If all you have is the heading of the page and a frame, all the info google gets is from the heading info in the source code, not much to go on as far as ranking. All you have there is some meta data like the title and description since the keyword meta tag is not an onpage factor google looks at anymore.

I never use frames unless I want to link to other sites and do not want the links leaving my site/page indexed by google. That is the only reason I would use a frame.

To understand how this works you have to understand what IFrames do as far as SEO is concerned. An iframe is basicaly a page within a page, so having a small iframe in a page is a way to keep that information from getting indexed unless you have a link outside of the frame linking to within the frame.

So, the page or URL string will not be affected, but you can not be credited with onpage factors within the frame, so it will have an effect on the ranking of the page because google can not read the content in the frame, so doing onpage within the frame is useless, it can also mess with stats, like CTR's on banners by hiding the source of the clicks (which is why affiliate programs do not allow them).

If all you have is the heading of the page and a frame, all the info google gets is from the heading info in the source code, not much to go on as far as ranking. All you have there is some meta data like the title and description since the keyword meta tag is not an onpage factor google looks at anymore.

I never use frames unless I want to link to other sites and do not want the links leaving my site/page indexed by google. That is the only reason I would use a frame.

Excellent post!

MI
Back