The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

I don't understand the commision

chris.martin

affiliate
Hello,

I'm looking to sign up to a good [removed] affiliate program.

from what I'm seeing there is a big differences between the programs, so of them offering up to 30% and others offering up 60-70%.

can someone please explain to me what is the differences between them and how does it make sence that some offers 30% and others 70%??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Chris,

In general, the way I look at it is that the commission rate is a solid indicator of how much value a merchant is placing on having an affiliate help their business make sales.

The more important it is that they get affiliates to invest their time, effort and resources (customer base or email list and regular readers) then they are usually going to offer a higher commission to attract your attention and make it worth your effort : - )

Hope this helps ; - )

Commissions are also driven by the margins of certain types of products. For instance computers have very eroded margins so most programs can only pay around 2%. Whereas ebooks are close to 100% profit so can pay out around 75% average.

So in the market you are talking about (meds) profit margins should be FAIRLY consistent. So if there is that wide of a spread I'd look at factors like whether the high paying programs are real or a scam. And ESPECIALLY in that market I'd carefully analyze what type of meds they are selling and IF they are doing it legally.

Do you want to get in trouble with the Feds? Or work hard and never get your commission because the Feds closed down company and froze their assets? Or maybe be responsible for someone dying?

I personally would not touch that market with a 10 foot pole.

Chris, the beauty of affiliate marketing is that there may be programs offering you a few percent commission, and they'll convert like crazy, earning you money, or you may be sitting on a fat commission program with almost zero conversions, thus earning almost no money... And vice versa of course. How to tell the one from the other? (E)Books have been written on that subject... I have some simple advice, though. First concentrate on products that resonate with you. Products you think you would actually buy yourself. It will be easier for you, perhaps, to work with those programs.
The key elements you should look at are the following, in my opinion, at least:
- % commission and $ commission - both values are important, because there may be high ticket programs, and 10% commission can be, say $25, and low ticket products where 75% equals $15, and we want to earn, right? On the other hand if you have a 10% program with $25 commission, and 75% program with the same commission, go after the second one. The probability that you'll sell more low ticket units is usually bigger;
- recurring or one time billing (recurring is better, you refer once you get money many times)
- does the program have affiliate support - YES is your option (most of work is done for you by experts)
- does the program have customer support - YES is your option (you don't want returns because of no customer support)
- are there customers' reviews of the program? - if YES, what is the average expressed in stars or points (the higher, the better of course)
- is the program popular with affiliates - YES is your option; higher popularity means there is money, but there is also competition, but this time it is good news.
The list could go on, but these are the points I usually consider before jumping into promotion.
Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as reliability goes. All you really have to worry about is...Are you going to get paid? And is the merchant, or merchants going to ship promptly...keep their network up etc...

I don't know anything about pharmaceuticals, and Linda's right, most people don't want to be associated with them at all. You could probably find out everything you need to know with a Google search.

I don't think I'm allowed to post a link, but there is an affiliate program directory called affiliatepaying dot com. They have hundreds of programs plus info and ratings. I don't really use it, but it looks to be decent.

And for commissions, as Linda said, the amount of overhead on the product counts a lot. But some products have a higher commission rate simply because they're overpriced. Weight loss products, colon cleansing kits, and "male enhancement" products have a high commission (about 50%) because they're hyped up and overpriced.

A bottle of fish oil might have a 12% commission...unless it's "hand harvested from the pristine waters of the..." or "processed by our patented high tech process of..." But you see the point right?

Also remember, higher commission rates mean higher competition (even if it's not worth it) And whatever it is, you have to sell it. Lastly, it's nice to be able to sleep at night.

Just make sure to stay away from any questionable industries - those are for sure not "reliably program that also promise good commission."

Chris,

what networks are the programs being run on? If you stick to programs that are run on reputable networks you will be safer. Take a look at Share a Sale, Commission Junction, Linkshare, Buy At. These are reputable networks, you can trust their tracking and know you will receive your commissions.

AS for commissions - you need to look at more then just the commission amount. Look at the average sale amount, the EPC, and consider the conversion rate. All of these factor into your earning potential in a program.

And if you are just starting - I really suggest stopping by Shawn Collins Affiliate Tip blog and watching all of his free videos on youtube.

Hi there,

the bigger portion of a sale goes your way the harder it usually is to promote that particular product.

For example, as an Amazon affiliate you start with only 4% commissions, yet it is still possible to make a living just by promoting Amazon products, because they convert so well.

MI
Back