The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“AdsEmpire”/  Direct Affiliate

Humans programmed to belive in God

temi

affiliate
According to a Sunday New York Times article, 6 in 10 Americans believe in the devil and hell, 7 in 10 believe in angels, heaven and the existence of miracles and life after death, while 92% believe in a personal God. The article explores the possibility that this belief structure may be ingrained into our genetic makeup
Full story: Slashdot | Humans Hardwired to Believe in Supernatural Deity?

That's a pretty interesting statistic isn't it? I wonder what the stats are from around the world? I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm personally not a believer in "God" as he is known by the majority of Americans. I believe that there is a higher power, and that power is more obvious, nature(physical science).

My belive is very similar to yours Jump, there is higher power but not necessarily Allah, Jesus, Buddah etc. I think in UK most of us do not go to church or belive in God as much as our American friends seem to do

Sorry LOL.
when most people say we are indoctrinated to believe in god, they assume this is the God of the Bible. It really isn't, as what is meant is that we are indoctrinated to believe in a greater power than mortal man has, a godhead.

This can be the god of the christians, the god of the Muslims, (in effect the same sort of god). or the god of sun etc. Either way we feel an overwhelming need to believe that our lives can not simply be here, then disappear forever. It is an admission of our own mortality if we do, and this is a character weakness

Im not a big believer, but i once worked with a guy who was.
I said God is a crutch for the weak.
He said if gods a crutch give me two!
Quite a profound statement.

Is it the fact some need the comfort?

Im not sure?
but you have to look back to very early times and the man looking for how,where and why!

People are still looking for the how, where, and why. I think that it's human nature to feel like there is a reasoning behind things, and when science can't explain things, it's a simple task to create that reasoning. That's where I believe that religion comes from. There are people that believe there is no God, but think that life was placed on Earth by alien beings. It's kind of the same thing. We seem to need to know where it is we came from, and where it is we're going to. I don't hold it against anyone for having these beliefs, it's part of who we are as humans.

Im not a big believer, but i once worked with a guy who was.
I said God is a crutch for the weak.
He said if gods a crutch give me two!
Quite a profound statement.

Is it the fact some need the comfort?

Im not sure?
but you have to look back to very early times and the man looking for how,where and why!
I disagree with that statement. I am a believer (a Muslim) and I also believe that Religion is not only a source of strength but also requires strength.
It takes a considerable amount of strength and discipline to abstain from what God forbides, to avoid sins, and to restrain yourself from your heartly desires. In a sense, it is much easier to just follow one's desires and basic instincts (greed, lust, etc...) than it is to follow a religion.
Most people who have a profound belief in God are more likely to be resilient in life, not committ suicide, less likely to fall into drepression.
I don't know about other religions but I don't think that you can call a muslim "weak".

Well said ablaye. I too agree that it does take a certain level of strength to uphold ones convictions. However, "Most people who have a profound belief in God are more likely to be resilient in life", in my opinion is only part of the truth. I think that that statement is true for most people who have found any kind of meaning in their life, be it God, a loved one, children, etc. I think that having children for me is like finding God for many other people. I abstain from what my children forbid, adultry, murder, theft, etc, because I am a good father. I also abstain from those sins because I am a good person, with or without children. Before my children came along, I didn't know why I was a good person, my children helped me to define myself.

I remember when I was a high school, a classmate said something that profoundly marked me.
He said he chose to believe in God because it was a win-win situation for him.
If there isn't a God, at least he would have lived his life doing good, avoiding harming others. So in his eyes, he would find satisfaction in having lived a life that would have had a positive impact on others.
And if there IS a God, at least he would not be among the losers answering to God and being punished for living a sinful life.

No one can PROVE nor DISPROVE the existence of God.
Would you want to risk it all if there is indeed a GOD???

That is pretty profound. I like to think that if there is a God, and I live my life the way that She wants me to, the way She expects us all to, that She'll be a forgiving God, regardless if I did it for Her or not.

Or He.

I really like your point though, rep added.

MI
Back