The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

How to be a Dead Broke Affiliate in 10 Easy Steps

Linda Buquet

affiliate
Amit over at Super Affiliate Mindset just wrote a pretty good blog post I wanted to share with you guys.

<a href="http://www.superaffiliatemindset.com/top-10-ways-to-be-a-dead-broke-affiliate/">Top 10 Ways to Be a Dead Broke Affiliate</a>

1. Don’t stick with one affiliate marketing strategy for very long. Once you’ve tried something for a month with no results try something else. Keep jumping around constantly : SEO, PPC, facebook, article marketing, etc.

2. Check your sales stats every 5 minutes, and be sure to agonize about it. If this doesn’t COMPLETELY distract you and suck up all your emotional energy, then get one of those tool bars or alert programs that shows you or beeps every time you have a sale.

3. Bid on the most obvious and competitive keywords in your market, then spend 75% of your day checking your ad position for your main one or two keywords vs your competitors.

Go read the rest, then come back and talk about it.
Who's guilty of any of these! Come-on fess up! :p

Hey ronaldec7,

Welcome to 5 Star. Glad you followed me over here and posted.

I admire people who admit in public they made some mistakes,
because everyone does. The faster you get those mistakes
out of the way, the sooner you start to see success!

Thank you Linda. I am thankful for you reply. I hope I can be as successful as "5 star" and Amit Mehta. Sometime I may make a bad or critical comment on his site, but in all fairness he's a good guy who has taught me a lot. :)

I'm guilty!

Number 8. hit home with me ...

Spend all your time buying expensive information products and ebooks on how to do affiliate marketing. Go through these products and learn everything you can, then sit on your butt. Whatever you do DON’T take immediate action on what you’ve learned. Keep waiting for the right time to get started.​

I think I've spent more on how to products then I did my college tuition. Sad thing is .. there are more products, reports, and articles out there then we can ever have time to read. I download audio's and turn them on while I am sleeping hoping my subconscious learns it .. while I sleep to try and stuff more learning time in ...

Some point in time we have to kick the learning curve into the action zone.

I think for me - the problem was having faith in the material - and wanting to cross reference it with the "next" guy. After a few trials, errors, and successes we get our own groove. It all starts with --- action. Do something - even if it isn't perfect!

destiny911 said: "Some point in time we have to kick the learning curve into the action zone... After a few trials, errors, and successes we get our own groove? It all starts with --- action. Do something - even if it isn't perfect!

I just added a great quote along those lines to our inspirational quotes thread. When I shared it, I had newbies in mind that get stuck in analysis paralysis mode.

"A good idea implemented today is much better than a perfect idea implemented tomorrow!" General Patton

The super affiliates I know all say that trying and failing then starting over or trying something different several times, was where they learned the most.

#5 is always a good one. Or as I like to say:

"Great ideas are a dime a dozen. Great actions are few and far between. Which one do you have ! "

:)

I am probably most guilty of number 1 definitely need to quit promoting some programs or replace them with others trial and error and all that.

Amit really lost me as a reader with this post. Sure, some of them are pretty self explanatory, but insulting an entire forum of people (many of whom make plenty as affiliates) and then instigating a flame war with them is highly unprofessional for someone who wants to be a leader in the industry and who wants to develop a public profile.

I must admit, I've been sitting on my butt lately too. I've gone through a lot lately, but I had all this time at home after my surgery, and promised myself that I would do something every day on my site, especially marketing, but I didn't. I'm just sort of stuck. I'm getting depressed about money, and angry because I know that if I had done what I was supposed to, I wouldn't have to be depressed.

I think I've picked the wrong niche, though. Frugal people don't shop online, and they don't click ads. Maybe I'll keep that site, and make another one just about gardening. I think I could sell some products there, because I know the products to talk about that would sell.

Lamb dressed as wolf

Shame really because the post has a lot of very good points. But the message is a little sullied by the angery tone that underlies it.

Perhaps the mild attack is just a publicity stunt, don't know but you come away from reading that post with a bad taste in your mouth.

The use of the 'B' word was totally distasteful

Amit really lost me as a reader with this post. Sure, some of them are pretty self explanatory, but insulting an entire forum of people (many of whom make plenty as affiliates) and then instigating a flame war with them is highly unprofessional for someone who wants to be a leader in the industry and who wants to develop a public profile.

You know, I can understand his point to a degree. There are people who spend all their time on the forums then complain they aren't making any money, when that time could be better spent optimizing their site.

And you know what, sometimes people ARE stealing your affiliate links, but I wouldn't go on a forum and complain, I'd do what most good affiliates have done and warn people about how to mask your links.

He obviously has a gripe with somebody somewhere, but tough love isn't such a bad thing.

I come here to complain sometimes, but I always admit my laziness, mistakes, etc. and it motivates me to get encouragement here that others have done the same, and still turned out to be successful affiliate marketers.

Forums are a great resource, but some people are addicted to them, when they need to be out working their site.

No there's a huge back story. Some really nasty stuff happened that built up to the boiling point.
He should have just ignored it though and not tried to sling mud back.

Actually, I think he hit the proverbial nail on the head here - great post. But if you've made some of these mistakes, don't beat yourself up - bet we've all got a few of those we can relate to. Just learn from them, that's the main thing.

I didn't know some people actually went around forums to complain about affililate programs, though. WOW talk about time you could put to far better use - like ways to keep getting hits, converting sales, etc.

Very interesting, thanks so much for the heads up on this.

MI
Back