The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Propeller”/  Direct Affiliate

How To Add A Blog On A Subdomain?

TylerDurden

I'm working on a website in Dreamweaver and I'm almost done however I would like to add a blog to it to help with SEO but I'm not exactly sure how.

First of all can anyone point me to information on how to create a subdomain for example would I do something like blog.mydomain.com or mydomain.com/blog? Right now I'm using Hostgator for my hosting provider if that helps.

I would like to use wordpress for my blog as I'm familiar with their software and I am able to install it on Hostgator using Fantastico.

So in summary, how do I create a subdomain for my blog and how do I attach a wordpress blog to my website that was built using Dreamweaver.

Thanks for any help!

TylerDurden

Thanks Linda that was really helpful...and easy! As I was writing my post I thought maybe I should check Hostgator first, sorry for asking you to help me find something that was so accessible. Their video tutorial was great, that's what I love about them.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can integrate a wordpress blog with a site that I created with Dreamweaver?

Yes they can just be totally separate. That's what I did.

My main site at 5staraffiliateprograms.com is all done with Dreamweaver.

My blog is on a subdomain and all done with WP affiliate-blogs.5staraffiliateprograms.com/

So I'm doing exactly what you are trying to do.

I paid someone to set up WP for me several years ago, so can't tell you exactly how to do it though.
I'm not all that technical and have more money than time, so while I do all my own regular site maintenance with Dreamweaver and know my way around WP, when it comes to installation and getting all the plugins and stuff to work right I'd rather pay my WP guy to do it for me.

Back when I 1st had the blog built I just had a custom theme made that matched that old site design. Now I have a new upgraded design and the main site, blog and forum all use the same header, colors and sidebar so they match.

But you don't have to go to that trouble. Just find a WP theme with a color scheme that goes with your main site for starters. After your site and blog grow you can maybe spring for a custom theme.

Thanks, I think I figured it out myself as I stepped away from the CPU. In Dreamweaver when someone clicks on "Blog" I can just point that to "blog.mydomain.com" and with Hostgator I could probably use Fantastico to install a WP theme onto the subdomain. I'll give that a try and if that doesn't work then I'll try back with questions.

There are lots of help docs at WP and probably too at HostGator about how to set up a WP blog. Probably some good vids too. So I'd read up before starting.

Good luck. Let us know how you do!

You don't have to create a subdomain to install a blog to go with your website. During install of wordpress on your main domain use blog as where you want to install wordpress and it creates the folder for you. You don't want to create the folder wordpress will have to create it. your blog address will then be yourdomain.com/blog/

if that is what you want

MI
Back