The Most Active and Friendliest
Affiliate Marketing Community Online!

“Adavice”/  “1Win

Review How much for EV battery replacement?

Graybeard

If this article is right --not that much.
Compare the cost to replacing an ICE engine or transmission in your current 'hydrocarbon emitting' auto or truck ...
$4,000 USD or so they are saying for battery replacement 10 years from now.

The battery issue has long been my question for these EV's. Expensive to replace and expensive to recycle. I long thought Hydrogen was a better answer.

Hydrogen is a distribution availability problem (right now).
Electricity is everywhere as a supply right now.

After 10 yrs and 150,000 miles (242,000 km) ICE vehicles may need major repairs.

More encouraging is the used BEV market may be more viable then previously though. That's an important point to early adopters ...

Availability. The is no 'hydrogen grid' to leverage now that would meet the mass retail quantity needed.

IMO, Hydrogen fuel cell use is better suited to long haul vehicles or at businesses and government/municipal garages with their own fueling facilities. In most situations; commuting or local use BEV vehicles can be charged at home at night or when not in use. Apartment buildings might be an issue as would street parking.

Supplying hydrogen fuel at truck stops at first would be a first step solution. Retail outlets like today's gasoline station will be a very capital intensive project. What's needed is a new breakthrough technology that will allow in situ solar electrolysis of hydrogen and its storage on location. That may be a possible --at some time (probably far off).

Nikola :rolleyes:

Arizona-based zero-emission vehicle company Nikola and New York's Opal Fuels, which focuses on renewable fueling infrastructure for heavy-duty truck fleets, entered into a memorandum of understanding on the development, construction, and operation of hydrogen fueling stations in North America and the use of renewable natural gas (RNG) in hydrogen production. “Under this strategic engagement, Nikola and Opal Fuels intend to co-develop and co-market hydrogen refueling infrastructure to accelerate the adoption of heavy-duty zero-emission fuel-cell electric vehicles (FCEV),” the companies wrote on Thursday.

They are following the FCEV heavy duty, long haul, transport scenario ...

Contrary --all electric battery city busses

I think this has been done with electric street cars 100 years ago --why even the need for a battery?

More commercial hydrogen fuel cell in France

Last edited:
You know. when I moved to Las Vegas in 1981, one of the first most noticeable environmental applications I saw was that all municipal, all transit, and all cabs were required to burn natural gas. That was 1981. Building infrastructure is not as big or as difficult as many think. Vegas made them all convert in a 40 years ago.

Natural gas is methane. When you burn methane you create CO2.
NG, LNG, or propane has had an established distribution network for years on a very large scale.
Hydrogen gas is corrosive to iron pipe (makes iron pipe brittle and it cracks easily) --more that 10%± of the existing gas distribution network will need an upgrade.
I think the LNG conversion strategy in the 1980's had more to do with NO2 pollution and oil independence.

Hydrogen fuel cell (FCEV) are going to be a hard sell for some time. The concept is fine.

Remember this: Invest in Atlis Electric Pickup Trucks?

Glad I didn't sink any money into 'Altis' or all-piss truck :D
years later and nothing but hot air

in other Fuel Cell news

I made 9.8% on this stock is 10 days last month^

banners
Back