monetizer expertmobi
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How Do You Know When Your Server Is Down?

Discussion in 'General Affiliate Marketing Forum' started by captain47, Oct 29, 2014.

1. captain47

captain47 Affiliate affiliate

So my server just went down and it seems to be a major outage at HostGator. I was lucky to be online, I have paused my campaigns and redirected the rest to direct linking.

I already use the free version of Pingdom. What tools do you use to get instant updates on the status of your server?

How do you deal with this situation?

2. monetizer
  3. lrs1995

lrs1995 Moderator moderator affiliate

I think Pingdom offers such service where they email you if your server goes down.
    You can check manually by using the ping command.

4. captain47

Yes they send out emails. And their premium services sent out text messages too. Wondering how do people deal with this when servers go down.

:)

5. LukePeerFly

LukePeerFly Super Moderator Super Mod moderator Affiliate Manager Service Manager affiliate

Uptime Robot is the best. It's free and you can get SMS alerts. I love them, but then I hate them at the same time because they're the ones that give the bad news.

Daniel.Thomas, dancys, seeqer and 2 others like this.
  6. captain47

Lol. Thanks for this man. Free Pingdom only allows one domain. This is the whole package :)

7. T J Tutor

T J Tutor Administrator Administrator moderator affiliate

I was using Tallyopia for a while, but then I discovered my WHM interface could notify me of downtime, successful backups, etc.

8. captain47

Where do you host?

9. T J Tutor

BlueHost VPS

10. captain47

Thanks. I am looking for a new VPS. If I decide on BlueHost, I will be in touch for your aff link :)

T J Tutor likes this.
  11. superme

superme Affiliate affiliate

Well if the server is down and your WHM is there how it will notify you? Or the WHM account is on different panel?

12. T J Tutor

I think that when you set notifications in WHM for downtime it probably has a trigger set for interrupts on the Bluehost side. In other words the WHM is probably pinging the BlueHost servers and if the ping is not being received then a BlueHost notification goes out to check your CPanel or WHM services. Just guessing.

13. davidfrost

davidfrost Affiliate affiliate

I actually use Pingdom. They monitor the server and sends me an email if it goes down. [​IMG]

14. slimane elboujamaai

slimane elboujamaai Affiliate affiliate

use free solution by installing jetpack plugin in your wordpress

15. Erik Kyle

Erik Kyle Affiliate affiliate

The best way to tell if your website is actually down, or if your issue is specific to your network, computer, or web browser, is to have someone that is connected to the internet from a different network attempt to visit your website. If no one is available, you can visit your website via a proxy server. Connecting to your website via a proxy website will simulate connecting from a network outside your own.

Here is a link to a popular free proxy site:
    www.megaproxy.com

16. eMonetize

eMonetize Affiliate affiliate

I had a custom program built that reads a page that I put on all my servers and then it looks for specific text that is at the end of the page. I fill the page with a ton of crap, so that the server has to be functioning properly for it to read VS a simple ping. If a server fails, I can optionally have it wait X minutes and retest, if it fails again or the first time (however I set it) then it sends me an email, text or both.

17. Akos Szalai

Akos Szalai Affiliate Manager Affiliate Manager affiliate

I actually use Monitis. You can create any kind of checks, you can measure and create charts of the server performance/any metric.

Also you can set up a wide range of alert channels from SMS, email, whatever.

Featured Resources (View All)

MI